Some Lesser Known Facts About Khushboo Mirza
- Khushboo Mirza is an Indian Scientist, working for ISRO. She was one of the 12 engineers in the Check-out division of Chandrayaan 1 (India’s first lunar probe).
- Khushboo lost her father, Sikandar Mirza when she was 7 years old.
- Her father owned a petrol pump. Her mother took over the business, and she worked to get her children through school and run the family.
- Her father was an engineer too. He wanted his children to do something in the field of science. After his death, Khushboo’s mother promised herself that she’ll fulfil her husband’s wishes.
- Her brother, Khushrat Mirza, is an engineer too. He’s a student of Jamia Millia Islamia College, New Delhi. Although, he gave up his career in science; to take over the business and help her sisters get through college.
- Khushboo studied in a Hindi-medium school till class 10th.
- She took admission in the Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) as she wanted to get out of her hometown Amroha. In an interview, she once stated that she felt claustrophobic in the lanes of Amroha, Uttar Pradesh.
- She was a very bright student and a topper throughout her school and college life.
- Khushboo was good at sports too. She used to take part in volleyball and badminton tournaments regularly. She had advanced to the district level in volleyball.
- She got admission under the sports quota of AMU.
- She contested the AMU Student Union Election for the post of Court Membership F/O Engineering & Technology. She is the first girl ever in AMU to contest a Student Union election. She lost the election but she inspired other girls to take part in the elections.
- After she graduated, she got a job offer from Adobe. She declined the offer as she wanted to do something in the field of space science for India. She soon got a job offer from ISRO, which she accepted.
- Her mother stated-
Even though Adobe offered a lot more salary than ISRO, it would have been foolish to join Adobe than ISRO”
- She was appointed as a technologist for the satellite systems in ISRO.
- Khushboo had a crucial role in the team that developed the Chandrayaan 1.
- She used to design and develop instruments and software, which acquire data from the satellite and performs tests from the point of integration until lift-off.
- On 23 October 2008, Chandrayaan 1 was launched successfully. Khushboo saw the launch right in front of her eyes. She described it as a mesmerizing moment.
- Her village was so proud of her, they started calling it Khushboo Mirza’s village.
- On 8 March 2018, President Ram Nath Kovind visited AMU. He was attending the 65th Annual Convocation. During his speech, he said-
Khushboo played a key role in ISRO’s Chandrayaan Mission and her contributions to the mission are commendable. Achievers like Khushboo are role models for women in the 21st century”
- On 8 April 2018, she was invited to AMU as a Chief Guest at a function in AMU.
- After the success of Chandrayaan 1, she was selected to be a part of the team for the development of Chandrayaan 2.
- On 4 June 2019, ISRO announced that Chandrayaan 2 will be launching on 22 July 2019.