Caste: Tamil Brahmin
Age: 51 Years
|Nickname||Ashok Khemka of Kerala|
|Profession||Civil Servant (IAS)|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 180 cm
in meters- 1.80 m
in feet inches- 5’ 11”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 75 kg
in pounds- 165 lbs
|Hair Colour||Salt and Pepper|
|Date of Birth||24 May 1968|
|Age (as in 2019)||51 Years|
|Birthplace||Ulloor, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, India|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Gemini|
|Hometown||Ulloor, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, India|
|Colleges/University||• Government Law College, Mumbai
• Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
• Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham
• Gujarat National Law University
• National Law University, Delhi
• National University of Juridical Sciences, Kolkata
|Educational Qualification(s)||• Diploma in Cyber Law
• Post Graduate in Cyber Law
• PG Diploma in environmental law
|Hobbies||Writing & Reading|
|Controversies||• In 2014, Raju Narayana Swamy (the then secretary of Printing and Stationery) filed a complaint against the then Chief Secretary, E. K. Bharat Bhushan, before the IAS association alleging him of victimising him when he turned down a telephonic request of Bhushan in 2007. He even claimed that Bhushan had overruled the orders of chief minister regarding the expunging adverse remarks by him in his Annual Performance Report (PAR).
• In 2017, Raju (the then Principal Secretary of Agriculture) had accused Biju Prabhakar (the then Director of Agriculture) of calling an agricultural expert team from Israel to Kerala without seeking permission from the government. He had also sought an explanation from Biju for posting the wife of Industries Minister’s private secretary in the Horticulture Department. Things went worse when Raju accused Biju of being a 'fake IAS Officer.' Eventually, they both were dismissed from their posts.
|Favourite Food||South Indian|
|Favourite Subjects||Science, Mathematics|
|girlfriend, Affairs and More|
|Wife||Name Not Known|
|Marriage Date||Year 1995|
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs 4 Crore (as in 2017)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Raju Narayana Swamy
- Does drink Raju Narayana Swamy smoke?: Not Known
- Does Raju Narayana Swamy drink alcohol?: Not Known
- Raju Narayana Swamy is a 1992 Batch IAS officer of Kerala Cadre.
- He bagged a scholarship from Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA, after passing out from IIT Chennai.
- His father and mother, who were Professors in a college, played a key role in shaping up his career.
- He has had an exceptional academic career as he has obtained the first rank in Kerala in Class 10 Examination SSLC (1983), first rank in Pre-degree Examination (MGU-1985), 10th rank in IIT Joint entrance examination, and got admission into one of the most prestigious institutions- Indian Institutes of Technologies (IIT Madras).
- The list continues as he got the first rank in Computer science Engineering, first rank in Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) and first rank in Civil Services Examination (1991).
- He was awarded a doctorate degree from Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham and has secured his second Ph.D. from the prestigious Gujarat National Law University.
- In addition to all, he became the first civil servant to complete all the 10 courses conducted by the National Institute of Disaster Management New Delhi in association with the World Bank Institute in First Rank.
- He has held several posts including District Collector of five districts, Director of Fisheries and of Collegiate Education, Managing Director & Commissioner in Civil Supplies Department of Kerala.
- In his district, it was a practice to collect crores of rupees for earthen bunds meant for poor farmers, which were never constructed, for this reason, he did not passes the bill promptly and waited to see whether bund will outlast till rainy season. As expected by him, because of its weak construction, bund got vanished in rain. After that, he refused to pass the bill, hence saved 8 crores public money.
- During his investigations, he inquired an illegal land deal involving the son and daughter of the then Public Works Minister (PWD Minister) U. Kuruvilla, who had to resign over the issue. It was the first time in the history of the country that a Minister had to resign on the report of an IAS officer. He also investigated against the former minister P. J. Joseph and his relatives regarding their alleged illegal landholdings.
- For his honesty, he didn’t even spare his Father-in-Law, who was a Contractor. His Father-in-Law wanted to block off a public road to a poor neighbourhood of Scheduled Castes to wall up land for himself. He requested his father-in-law not to misuse his position as the local Sub-Collector, but he wouldn’t listen. After that, he invoked the Criminal Procedure Code and served orders on him, called in the police and carried out the demolition. This even led to the Divorce with his Wife.
- He has written 26 books; Nano Muthal Nakshatram Vare is one of his popular science books.
- He has won several awards and accolades including- Sahitya Academy Award for a travelogue-Santhimantram Muzhangunna Thazvarayil, the Bhima Gold Medal and Kunhunni Award (both for children’s literature), the prestigious Homi Bhabha Fellowship in Cyber Law and fourth IRDS awards for public service, awarded by the Lucknow-based Institute for Research and Documentation in Social Sciences (IRDS).
- He has undergone training at prestigious institutions both in India and abroad. He also published more than 150 research papers in national and international journals.
- He has been transferred 20 times in the past 22 years.
- He took a break from the Civil Service and went to Paris to take up assignments of the United Nations. After the left government under V. S. Achuthanandan came into power, he was called back to service as the Collector of the Kottayam District.
- In June 2019, Mr Raju alleged that the state government had recommended his dismissal to the Centre citing unexplained absence from work and lack of discipline and responsibility. He said-
It’s very sad that I have been given this kind of a reward for fighting corruption. I am facing you with a lot of pain.”
- He has been without a post since being suspended in March 2019 from the post of Chairman of the Coconut Development Board (CDB), where he claimed to have detected multiple corruption cases involving misappropriation of funds and suspended two officials.
- Here is the TEDx Talk in IIT Delhi, which was given by Narayana Swamy himself.
- During an interview, Raju told that he wrote books for children because he doesn’t have children.