Some Lesser Known Facts About Bismah Maroof
- Bismah Maroof is a Pakistani cricket player and the captain of the “Pakistan Women’s National Cricket Team.”
- Bismah joined the Pakistan team when she was just 15 years old. She was handpicked by the former Pakistani cricketer, Imtiaz Ahmed who was the selector of the Pakistan women’s team then.
- She did not want to become a cricketer while growing up. Her parents loved cricket, so they persuaded her to join the sport and take it up professionally.
- Bismah wanted to become a doctor when she was in the eighth standard, and it was during this time that she got selected for the “Pakistan Women’s National Cricket Team.”
- She did not want to leave her studies when she got selected. However, her parents said that cricket was her future, and she should make it a priority.
- In 2010, she was a part of the Pakistan team that won the Gold medal against Bangladesh in the “2010 Asian Games” held in China.
- In 2016, after the “ICC Women’s T20 World Cup,” she was named as the captain of the Pakistan Women’s National Cricket Team, replacing Sana Mir.
- She often advocates for cricket academies for girls in Pakistan. Once, in an interview, she said-
The grassroots level in Pakistan is not very good. We want PCB to take some decisions to promote women’s cricket. We want a separate women’s academy so that girls can come and train there as we don’t have a lot of grounds”
- She likes reading religious books; as it helps her deal with stress.
- In March 2018, she led Pakistan to win a series against Sri Lanka. Pakistan’s victory was a clean sweep, and it was only the second time that Pakistan won a series 3-0.
- On 28 July 2018, she had to undergo a surgery due to a severe sinus problem and blurry vision in her right eye. She shared that the doctors had told her that she might never play cricket again after the surgery; as the surgery had to be done close to her brain, which might hamper her vision. However, her surgery went well, and she was able to play further.
Alhamdulillah my surgery went well. Thank you for all the wishes and prayers. ❤#blessed
— Bismah Maroof (@maroof_bismah) August 2, 2018
- Bismah draws inspiration from the Indian cricket team captain, Virat Kohli. Once, in an interview, she said-
I actually like Virat for the way he takes the responsibility of the team and how he builds his innings at number three. So, I just want to take that responsibility too. My main focus is to emulate that”
- She is good friends with the Pakistani singer, Momina Mustehsan.
- On 28 November 2018, she got married to her cousin Abrar Ahmed.
- On 20 January 2020, Bismah was named as the Captain of the Pakistan team for the “2020 ICC Women’s T20 World Cup” in Australia.