Some Lesser Known Facts About Nayamoni Saikia
- Nayamoni Saikia is an Indian Lawn Bowls athlete. She is ranked 14th in women’s triples and fourth in women’s fours in Lawn Bowling in India. In 2022, she represented India in Commonwealth Games held in Birmingham, England and her team created history by winning a gold medal in Lawn Bowls matches on 2 August 2022.
India 🤝Lawn Bowls
— The Bridge (@the_bridge_in) August 1, 2022
- In 2001, Nayanmoni Saikia was selected for weightlifting sport through a talent hunt and became a part of the SAI Golaghat centre. Ajay Chetia, a weightlifting promoter in Assam, stated in a media conversation that Lawn Bowls changed the life of Nayanmoni after she represented Assam and India many times after 2007. He said,
Lawn Bowls was unheard of in this state before 2007. When Nayanmoni saw the sport then, it changed her life. She took up the sport that year itself and since then has represented both Assam and India many times.”
- In 2011, Nayanmoni Saikia won a gold medal in the National Games in individual and team events. In 2012, she clinched a gold medal at the Asian Lawn Bowls Championship in the girls under-25 section.
- In 2014 and 2018, Nayanmoni Saikia represented the country in the Commonwealth Games. In 2014, during the Commonwealth Games organised in Glasgow, SCO, she participated in the Women’s Singles and Women’s Triples Lawn Bowls Championships and was ranked in 3rd Pool in both events.
- Nayanmoni was appointed as a Forest Officer in Assam soon after she opted for lawn bowls after injuries halted her weightlifting career.
- Nayanmoni Saikia was born and brought up in a farmer’s family in Assam. In 2007, she shifted to lawn bowls and participated in the National Games, which were held in Assam.
- In 2015, Nayanmoni Saikia won a gold medal in the National Lawn Bowling championships held in Kerala, India.
- In 2020, Nayanmoni Saikia received cash rewards after winning a medal in the South Asian Games.
- According to her husband, Nayanmoni Saikia injured her leg at a weightlifting event. In a media conversation, he stated that the incident kept her weightlifting performance deteriorating till she found lawn bowls, which became her passion later. He said,
Nayanmoni was a very dedicated weightlifter earlier, her whole life revolved around sports. But a leg injury meant that her performance kept deteriorating till she found lawn bowls. That became her passion after that. She has faced many challenges in her life, but she never sacrificed the game.”
- In 2020, Nayanmoni Saikia won the third Khelo India Youth Games organised in Guwahati, Assam.
- In 2022, during the commonwealth games in England, Nayanmoni Saikia, along with her three teammates, Lovely Choubey, Pinki Singh, and Rupa Rani Tirkey, created history after winning the final match of the Lawn Bowls event on 2 August 2022 after defeating South African team. They defeated New Zealand in the semifinal match of Lawn Bowl and entered the finals on 1 August 2022.
- According to her husband, Nayanmoni Saikia’s mother-in-law was also a national-level sportsperson, and her family always supports her to participate in Lawn Bowl competitions.
- Nayanmoni Saikia remains very active on Facebook. She often posts her pictures and videos on social media.
- Nayanmoni Saikia is a compassionate animal lover. She has a pet dog. She frequently shares pictures of her pet dog on social media.