|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 170 cm
in meters- 1.70 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 7”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 55 kg
in pounds- 121 lbs
|Debut||Film (Malayalam): Bhagyadevatha (2009) as Sali
Film (Tamil): Vetrivel (2016) as Latha
Film (Telugu): Meda Meeda Abbayi (2017) as Sindhu
TV (Malayalam): St. Alphonsa-The Passion Flower (2008) on Shalom TV as Saint Alphonsa
|Awards||• Nominated for Best Debut Actress at the 6th South Indian International Movie Awards (SIIMA) in 2017 for the film 'Kidaari'
• Won the Most Popular Actress Award at the Kerala Kaumudi Flash Movies Awards 2018 for the film 'Aravindante Athidhikal'
• Won an award for Best Star Pair (shared with Vineeth Sreenivasan) at the Vanitha Film Awards 2019 for the film 'Aravindante Athidhikal'
• Nominated for Best Actress at the 8th South Indian International Movie Awards (SIIMA) in 2019 for the film 'Aravindante Athidhikal'
|Date of Birth||10 March 1994 (Thursday)|
|Age (as of 2023)||29 Years|
|Birthplace||Alakode, Kannur, Kerala|
|Hometown||Taliparamba, Kannur, Kerala|
|College/University||Sir Syed College, Taliparamba|
|Educational Qualification||B.Sc. (Botany) from Sir Syed College in Taliparamba, Kerala|
|Controversy||Criticized for controversial comment: In the year 2023, Nikhila Vimal became the subject of controversy due to her comments about Muslim weddings in Malabar. In an interview, she discussed the traditional practice in Kannur where women are typically served food in the kitchen area in the marriage functions of Muslims in Malabar. Vimal pointed out that that the practice had remained largely unchanged. However, her remarks were met with criticism from many online users who found them offensive and accused her of singling out a specific religious community.The actress defended herself by saying that her comments had been distorted and sensationalized by the media. She further said that only a portion of her conversation was shared by the media which should not be taken as a formal statement. She talked about this in an interview and said,
"The media made it controversial. I said that during a conversation. How can what someone said during a conversation be considered their statement? No reporter asked me what I said. I know exactly what I said.” The Indian Express
|Relationships & More|
|Parents||Father- M. R. Pavithran (retired officer from the statistical department; died in 2020)
Mother- Kalamandalam Vimaladevi (dancer)
Sister- Akhila Vimal (research scholar in Theatre arts at Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi)
Some Lesser Known Facts About Nikhila Vimal
- Nikhila Vimal is an Indian actress who is recognised for her work in Malayalam and Tamil films. In 2023, she played the role of Celine in the Malayalam film ‘Ayalvaashi.’
- Nikhila derived her surname, ‘Vimal,’ from her mother, Kalamandalam Vimaladevi.
- She wanted to become an actress since childhood and started her acting career during her school days. She played the role of young Saint Alphonsa in her debut Malayalam documentary-fiction TV series ‘St. Alphonsa-The Passion Flower’ (2008), which aired on Shalom TV.
- She has received training in several classical dance forms including Bharatanatyam, Kuchipudi, and Kerala Natanam. Additionally, she learned the mono act while studying in college.
- After debuting in the Malayalam film industry as a supporting actor in the film ‘Bhagyadevatha’ (2009), she appeared in the film ‘Love 24×7’ (2015), in which she played a lead role for the first time.
- Besides the TV series, she has also appeared in a few telefilms including ‘Thapaswini Vishudha Euphrasia’ (2016).
- Apart from acting, Nikhila also tried her hand at hosting. In 2016, she hosted the cookery show ‘Tharapachakam,’ which aired on Flowers TV.
- Prior to her first Tamil-released film ‘Vetrivel’ (2016), she worked as a lead actress in the film ‘Panjumittai’ and ‘Onbathu Kuzhi Sampath.’ However, the films were released in 2018 and 2020 respectively.
- She rose to fame in the Tamil film industry after she appeared in the film ‘Kidaari’ (2016) opposite Sasikumar. She later acted in a few more Tamil films including ‘Thambi’ (2019), ‘Ranga’ (2022), and ‘Por Thozhil’ (2023).
- Following her debut in the Telugu film industry with the film ‘Meda Meeda Abbayi’ (2017), she appeared in a titular role in the Telugu film film ‘Gayatri’ (2018).
- In 2018, she played the lead role of Varada in the Malayalam film ‘Aravindante Athidhikal’ opposite Vineeth Sreenivasan.
- Her performance as Salomi in the Malayalam film ‘Njan Prakashan’ (2018), where she starred alongside Fahadh Faasil, garnered immense accolades from the audience.
- Some of the other notable Malayalam films done by Nikhila Vimal include ‘Mera Naam Shaji’ (2019), ‘Anjaam Pathiraa’ (2020), ‘The Priest’ (2021), ‘Jo and Jo’ (2022), and ‘Ayalvaashi’ (2023).
- In 2019, the actress made a guest appearance on the show ‘Badai Bungalow’ and ‘Comedy Nights with Suraj.’
- In addition to her appearances in TV shows and films, she has also been featured in several TV commercials, including Rajakumari Gold and Diamonds.
- She has been featured on the cover of various magazines including ‘Vanitha’ and ‘Grihalakshmi.’
- In addition to her acting skills, Nikhila Vimal is recognized for her bold nature in expressing her views openly. In 2022, in an interview, she expressed her belief regarding animal welfare and said that if the welfare of animals was a matter of collective concern, then the act of slaughtering any animal should be prohibited across the country. She also highlighted the absence of a specific system to ban cow slaughter in India. Following her comment, she faced trolling from certain netizens, but senior actress Maala Parvathi showed her support by writing a message in her favour. The message read,
Those who get annoyed by such comments would unleash their cyber goons against you. However, you need not worry at all. This is Kerala! No matter how much filth they fling at you, the support of those who stand with you is pretty strong. So, my advice, as someone who regularly faces cyber-attack, is not to get upset over this.” Onmanorama