|Nickname||Vidya Facebook - Rahul Subramanian|
|Famous for||His crowd-work performances at bars, clubs, and birthday parties|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Rahul Subramanian Height||in centimeters- 170 cm
in meters- 1.70 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 7”
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Date of Birth||10 May 1988 (Tuesday)|
|Age (as of 2023)||35 Years|
|College/University||• Vivekanand Education Society’s Institute of Technology (VESIT), Sindhi Society, Chembur
• Institute of Management Technology, Ghaziabad
|Educational Qualification(s)||• Bachelor of Engineering and Information Technology from Vivekanand Education Society’s Institute of Technology (VESIT), Sindhi Society, Chembur (2003-2007)
• Master of Business Administration in Marketing from the Institute of Management Technology, Ghaziabad (2009-2011) LinkedIn - Rahul Subramanian
|Food Habit||Vegetarian YouTube - Zomato|
|Ethnicity||Tamilian Instagram - Rahul Subramanian|
|Relationships & More|
|Wife/Spouse||Sonica Subramanian (corporate employee)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Rahul Subramanian
- Rahul Subramanian is an Indian stand-up comedian, who is popular for his crowd-work performances at clubs, bars, and birthday parties. Rahul was featured in Amazon Prime Video’s crowd-work special Rahul Talks to People in March 2023.
- He grew up in a middle-class family in Mumbai.
- A waggish person, Rahul received various good comments from his friends and teachers for the quick jokes that he cracked during school.
- Rahul was also good at sports in his school and college days and actively took part in football matches. He was a part of his college’s football team.
- He began doing stand-up comedy at stage shows during his college days.
- After pursuing an MBA in Marketing, Rahul began working as a sales manager at Convonix Inc., Mumbai. Working there for around a year and a half, Rahul looked after B2B end-to-end sales at the firm. He was also responsible for post-sales client servicing primarily for US & UK and handled internet marketing services like SEO, SEM, SMO, and Shopping Cart Development.
- Subsequently, he worked as a Business Development Manager at Bare Associates International, Mumbai, for around four months, handling client acquisition and retention.
- Following a three months summer internship at Mahindra Retail Pvt. Ltd., Bangalore, Rahul joined the firm as a Management trainee. His job responsibilities included digital marketing and consumer connect for Mom & Me in Bangalore. During his internship period, Rahul also launched a loyalty program for Mom & Me across all stores in India.
- In January 2012, Subramanian was promoted to the position of e-commerce manager at Mahindra Retail Pvt. Ltd. As a part of his job, he set up and launched the e-commerce channel for Mahindra Retail and also handled digital marketing, business development, and customer retention departments. He resigned from his position in June 2013.
- Thereafter, he worked at Mahindra Rise, Mumbai, as a manager for around three years. At the firm, he handled corporate branding and digital marketing departments. Rahul was also a part of the team that looked after the Mother Brand for the Mahindra Group.
- Meanwhile, he also did open mics during his week-offs.
- At Mahindra, he met Kumar Varun (solo comedian and his fellow at Mahindra) and the duo went on to form a comedy collective Random Chikibum (the other RCB). The YouTube channel was created in 2015 and the duo started uploading their own comedy videos on it.
- In the same year, YouTube in association with All India Bakchod Kanan Gill and Biswa Kalyan Rath declared the OML’s Comedy Hunt, a search for new and aspiring comedy creators. As per the show format, the participants had to prepare a sketch based on a specific theme provided to them on every Monday. After rating their sketches, one contestant was eliminated at the end of the week. Out of all the contestants, four reached the finale, which was held at the National Centre for the Performing Arts (NCPA), Mumbai. The contest was won by Rahul and varun’s RCB. In an interview, while talking about their win, Rahul said,
I was mostly just relieved that I don’t have to work on sketches late in the night, after a whole day of work and amused that we just won this. We were just having fun.”
- Post the win, Rahul received an offer from the artist management company Only Much Louder to work for their YouTube daily comedy show, Laughter Games. At the same time, he got a new job offer at Godrej, a position he wanted for years, with the money he had demanded. However, he declined the job offer as he understood that he was not cut out for the corporate world and ventured into full-time stand-up comedy.
- He has also won a few stand-up comedy competitions organised by Virgin Pants and Canvas Laugh Club.
- Rahul performs a one-hour solo Kal Main Udega, a cherished crowd-work in which he makes spontaneous and impromptu interactions with audiences. He has toured the show in different cities across India like Chennai, Bengaluru, Delhi, Kolkata, and Mumbai. Due to its popularity, the show was later streamed on Amazon Prime Video.
- Rahul has also been featured in Amazon Prime Video’s comedy shows Comicstaan (2018) and Comedy Premium League (2021).
- In 2017, Rahul played a small role in a short film directed by Mrinal Bahukhandi.
- In the same year, Rahul starred in Amazon Prime Video’s comedy-drama series Pushpavalli as Lakshman. The series was originally released in four languages- English, Hindi, Kannada, and Tamil.
- Subsequently, he was featured on Amazon Prime Video’s fun game battle Improv All Stars: Games Night (2018).
- On 17 January 2018, during a stand-up show titled Signature Start Up Master Class in Indore, Rahul shared his journey of becoming a comedian.
- In 2019, he appeared on MX Player’s Kiski Sarkar.
- He has also been featured in various episodes of All India Bakchod.
- Rahul has given various crowd-work performances at comedy clubs like That Comedy Club and Tuning Fork Comedy Club.
- In 2020, he toured his crowd-work show You & Me.
- In 2023, Amazon Prime Video released a crowd work special show Rahul Talks to People featuring Rahul Subramanian. Directed by Biswa Kalyan Rath and produced by OML, the show featured Rahul’s unscripted and unrehearsed conversations with 6 different sets of audiences (ranging from marketing professionals to a bunch of friends) across 5 cities. In the show, Rahul was seen converting ordinary conversations like technology, corporate culture, cricket umpiring, stressful jobs, and marketing into a laugh riot for the live audience and viewers.
- He often consumes alcohol at parties and events.
- Rahul is fond of animals and has a pet dog named Arya.
- A gourmet, Rahul loves to try out different cuisines.
- Rahul is very active on social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. However, he revealed in an interview that he had joined them all out of pressure. He said,
I go on a vacation and worry that I haven’t posted anything in two days. And honestly, I spend less time than other comedians online. So, I guess that’s the future. That’s where I’m heading.”
- Apparently, Subramanian is not a superstitious person. In an interview, he revealed that he did not follow any pre-show rituals, adding that neither did he have any lucky socks nor any specific backstage song.
- He admires the American stand-up comedian Brian Regan.
- In an interview, When asked if he followed any particular techniques on the stage, Rahul replied,
When you do a lot of shows, it becomes an easy habit; it’s repetitive and you are not living the show anymore. So I don’t over-prepare and when I get on stage, I’m completely blank for 10 seconds. I say whatever comes to my mind and sometimes I’ve actually just stood silently. It helps me get alert. I’m aware of the lights, the audience, I’m here, I’m on stage and I’m doing what I love. It’s those first 10 seconds.”
- In an interview, while talking about the two most memorable stage performances of his life, he said,
The first time I did an open mic night, I bombed and I cried on my way home, and the first time my wife’s parents came to watch me perform, I completely freaked out.”