Age: 35 Years
Wife: Rujira Banerjee
|Famous For||Being the nephew of West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 185 cm
in meters- 1.85 m
in feet inches- 6’
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 65 kg
in pounds- 145 lbs
|Political Party||All India Trinamool Congress|
|Political Journey||• 2011: Became the President of All India Trinamool Yuva
• 2014: Elected to the 16th Lok Sabha
• 2014: Became a member of the Standing Committee on Commerce, the Consultative Committee, and the Ministry of Finance and Corporate Affairs
• 2015: Became a member of the Railway Convention Committee (R.C.C.)
• 2019: Won the Lok Sabha Election from Diamond Harbour with a margin of 320,594 votes
|Date of Birth||7 November 1987|
|Age (as of 2022)||35 Years|
|Birthplace||Kolkata, West Bengal|
|Hometown||Kolkata, West Bengal|
|School||M.P.Birla Foundation Higher Secondary School|
|College/University||Indian Institute of Planning and Management, New Delhi|
|Educational Qualification||B.B.A. and M.B.A. in Human Resource and Marketing|
|Address||183, South Avenue, New Delhi|
|Hobbies||Reading Biographies of international Achievers, Listening to old Hindi songs|
|Controversies||• Slapped at Public Meeting: In January 2015, Abhishek Banerjee was slapped and punched by a man, identified as Debashish Acharya, a resident of Tamluk in East Midnapore, at a public meeting in West Bengal's East Midnapore district following which he was beaten up by party workers and admitted to hospital. On 18 June 2021, he died under mysterious circumstances, and his family claimed that it was a murder. NDTV
• Named in a ‘coal pilferage scam’: On 30 August 2022, the Enforcement Directorate sumoned him for questioning in connection with its probe into the ‘coal pilferage scam.’ The Hindu
• School job scam: On 19 May 2023, the CBI issued a summon against him in connection with a case registered by an agency in West Bengal school job scam. Earlier, on 18 May 2023, Calcutta High Court dismissed his petition seeking recall of a previous order of the same court which said that investigative agencies such as CBI and ED could interrogate him in the teacher recruitment scam; the court also imposed a penalty of Rs. 25 lakh on Mr. Banerjee. The Hindu In September 2023, Banerjee underwent a 9-hour long interrogation by the ED concerning the case. In an interview, Abhishek Banerjee talked about the case and said that he would continue serving as the CEO of 'Leaps and Bounds Private Limited,' a private company linked to the case. He added that the ED lacked concrete evidence against him. He further said that the ED had been asking him the same line of questions as they had in prior case related to coal and cattle. The Telegraph
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||24 February 2012|
Daughter- Name Not Known
|Parents||Father- Amit Banerjee
Mother- Lata Banerjee
|Sport(s)||Cricket, Soccer, Snooker|
|Assets/Properties||• Bonds, Debentures, Shares: ₹3.5 Lakh
• Jewellery: ₹22.5 Lakh
|Salary (approx.)||Rs. 44 Lakh (As Per 2012-2013)|
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 1.5 Crore (as per 2012-2013)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Abhishek Banerjee
- He is the nephew of the Chief Minister of West Bengal, Mamata Banerjee.
- In the Indian General elections in 2014, he became the member of parliament to the 16th Lok Sabha from Diamond Harbour Lok Sabha constituency, West Bengal.
- When he got elected in the Lower House, he became the youngest MP to be elected.
- On 24 February 2012, he married Jasmeet Ahuja and has a daughter with her.
- He also holds the position of the National President of All India Trinamool Youth Congress.
- In October 2016, he was returning from a rally when his car crashed into another vehicle and overturned. He was seriously injured and was admitted into a hospital.
- In August 2018, he suffered embarrassment in Lok Sabha after he came unprepared in the Parliament and fumbled while asking a question.