|Full Name||Amla Ashok Ruia|
|Profession(s)||Entrepreneur, Water Activist, and Educationist|
|Famous For||Her work in water harvesting in Rajasthan|
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• IIM Lucknow National Leadership Award (2011): For Community Service and Social Upliftment.
• India Eye International Human Rights Observer Achievement Award (2018)
• NBT Utsav Awards 2019
|Date of Birth||Year 1946|
|Age (as in 2019)||73 Years|
|Hobbies||Reading Books and Writing Poems|
|Relationships & More|
|Husband/Spouse||Late Ashok Ruia (Businessman)
|Children||Son- Atul Ruia (MD of Phoenix and Palladium Malls)
• Sharmila Dalmia
• Kavita Khaitan
|Parents||Names Not Known|
|Favourite Poet||Maithili Sharan Gupt|
|Favourite Actor||Amitabh Bachchan|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Amla Ruia
- Amla Ruia is a famous Indian social activist known for her work in water harvesting. For her contribution to society, she is known as ‘Water Mother of India (Jal Maata).’
- She was born into a spiritual family, and she got married to a well-known businessman.
- Ruia’s first active work in the field of water harvesting came in the late 1990s when she watched a video of drought-ridden Rajasthan. She was so moved by the situation in Rajasthan that she decided to lend her help to the people of Rajasthan.
- Later, she founded ‘Aakar Charitable Trust’ to support people facing the scarcity of water by building check dams. Her husband was from Ramgarh Shekhawati in Rajasthan, so, she decided to start from that place. Their first check dam was constructed in the Mandawar Village of Rajasthan. Reportedly, it was difficult to convince the local people, but gradually, they understood the importance of these dams.
- From 2000 to 2005, they build almost 200 drinking water kunds. By the end of 2017, Aakar Charitable Trust had built more than 200 check dams in more than 115 villages in Rajasthan. Their trust provides 60-70% of the resources, and the rest of the amount is contributed by the villagers.
- Amla’s trust is not limited to Rajasthan only, but it has expanded its wings to other states also including Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Odisha, and Dantewada in Chhattisgarh. She joined the NGO called ‘Grammangal,’ which promotes education among villagers; with a special focus on girl’s education.
- In an interview, when a reporter asked her about her biggest achievement, she said,
Some people in the areas where we constructed check dams had not even seen how wheat is grown and now they cultivate wheat. The economic condition of these villagers has dramatically changed, and that gives great satisfaction.”
- For her noble work and contribution to society, she has received many awards.
- In 2019, she appeared in the ‘Karmaveer’ episode (27 September 2019) of Kaun Banega Crorepati 11 (2019). Actor Randeep Hooda accompanied her on the hot seat.
Meet Karamveer Amla Ruia and get to know more about her conservation efforts on #KBCKaramveer Special, this Friday at 9 PM Amitabh Bachchan
Sony Entertainment Television ಅವರಿಂದ ಈ ದಿನದಂದು ಪೋಸ್ಟ್ ಮಾಡಲಾಗಿದೆ ಸೋಮವಾರ, ಸೆಪ್ಟೆಂಬರ್ 23, 2019