Wife: Irom Sharmila
Age: 56 Years
|Date of Birth
|Age (as in 2019)
|Zanzibar (a semi-autonomous region of Tanzania in East Africa)
|Doing Yoga, Reading, Writing
|Girls, Affairs and More
|17 August 2017
|Kodaikanal, Tamil Nadu
Daughter(s)- Nix Shakhi and Autumn Tara (twins)
Some Lesser Known Facts About Desmond Coutinho
- Desmond is a second generation African travelling with an EU passport.
- He fell in love with Irom Sharmila even without meeting her.
- He first came to know about Irom Sharmila through a book titled “Burning Bright” by Deepti Priya Mehrotra. He was moved by Irom Sharmila’s struggle described in the book.
- He started writing letters to Sharmila and since then, the two got involved in exchanging letters regularly. Among the things he sent her were a Radha-Krishna painting and a teddy bear.
- In February 2011, he visited Imphal for the first time and finally managed to meet her on 9 March 2011 at a court.
- When The Telegraph (the eastern Indian daily) published an interview with Sharmila in which Sharmila said that she loved Coutinho, it caused a furore in Manipur.
- Desmond sat on a 36-hour fast to be allowed to meet Irom Sharmila. He had to fast for 2 days before the activists relented and allowed him to meet her.
- Desmond insisted that he was serious about Sharmila. He said-
I am not a writer. I am not an activist. I care about her. And although this seems to annoy activists, I have done more for her with my caring than the moral support they claim to have offered her.”
- On 17 August 2017, he got married to Irom Sharmila under the Special Marriage Act in Kodaikanal in Tamil Nadu. The couple started living together in Tamil Nadu’s Kodaikanal.
- On 12 May 2019, he became the father of twin girls- Nix Shakhi and Autumn Tara.