|Full Name||Diego Armando Maradona Franco|
|Nickname(s)||Hand Of God, The Golden Boy|
|Profession||Professional Footballer (Retired)|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 165 cm
in meters- 1.65 m
in feet inches- 5’ 5”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 70 kg
in pounds- 155 lbs
|Debut||International- On February 27, 1977 for Argentina against Hungary
Club- On October 20, 1976 for Argentinos.
|Jersey Number||#10 (Argentina)
#10 (FC Barcelona)
|Awards, Honors, Achievements||International
• FIFA World Cup: 1986
• Artemio Franchi Trophy: 1993
• Argentine Primera División: 1981 Metropolitano
• Copa del Rey: 1983
• Copa de la Liga: 1983
• Serie A : 1986–87, 1989–90
• Coppa Italia: 1986–87
• Supercoppa Italiana: 1990
• Argentine Primera División top scorers: 1978, 1979, 1979, 1980, 1980
• FIFA World Youth Championship Golden Ball: 1979
• Argentine Football Writers' Footballer of the Year: 1979, 1980, 1981, 1986
• South American Footballer of the Year: 1979, 1980
• FIFA World Cup Golden Ball: 1986
• FIFA World Cup Silver Shoe: 1986
• FIFA World Cup All-Star Team: 1986, 1990
• World Soccer Awards Player of the Year: 1986
• Coppa Italia top scorer: 1987–88
• South American Team of the Year: 1995
• Ballon d'Or for services to football (France Football): 1996
• World Team of the 20th Century: 1998
• FIFA Player of the Century: 2000
• FIFA Goal of the Century (for his second goal against England in 1986 FIFA • World Cup quarter-final): 2002
• Golden Foot (FIFA Legend): 2003
• Globe Soccer Awards Player Career Award: 2012
• AFA Team of All Time: 2015
• World Soccer Greatest XI of all time: 2013
|Date of Birth||October 30, 1960|
|Age (as in 2017)||57 Years|
|Birthplace||Lanús, Buenos Aires, Argentina|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Scorpio|
|Hometown||Villa Fiorito, Buenos Aires, Argentina|
|Educational Qualification||Not Known|
|Controversies||• In 2009, Italian authorities declared that he owed $45 million (₹306 Crore) in unpaid taxes, penalties, charges and interest. He paid just $48,000 (₹33 Lakh), 2 luxury watches and a set of earrings.
• In 2017, he accused his two daughters and his ex-wife of stealing $4.5million (₹30 Crore) from him and asked them to be jailed.
• In 2018, he was caught in a controversy when during the Argentina Iceland FIFA World Cup match he was seen smoking a cigar in the stadium, though smoking was ban in all the stadiums of the World Cup.
• After England defeated Colombia in the 2018 FIFA World Cup Round of 16, Maradona claimed that it was FIFA's conspiracy to award a win to England. He accused the referee of the match to not being fit for the job. Though FIFA denied his allegations and said that his "insinuations" were "entirely inappropriate and completely unfounded."
|Girls, Affairs & More|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||Lucia Galan (1981-1982) Singer
Cristiana Sinagra (1985)
Veronica Ojeda (2013)
Rocio Oliva (2014) Footballer
|Marriage Date||November 7, 1984|
|Wife/Spouse||Claudia Villafañe (1984-2003)
|Children||Sons- Diego Maradona Junior
Diego Fernando Maradona
Daughters- Dalma Maradona and Gianinna Maradona
|Parents||Father- Diego Maradona Senior (Construction Worker)
Mother- Dalma Salvadora Franco (Homemaker)
|Siblings||Brothers- Hugo Maradona, Raul Maradona
Sisters- Ana Maria Maradona, Rita Maradona, Maria Rosa Maradona, Elsa Maradona
|Favorite Food(s)||Pizza, Pasta, Cakes|
|Net Worth (approx.)||$100 Thousand (₹68 Lakh)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Diego Maradona
- He was born in a very poor family, his father was a brick-layer and mother a home-maker.
- His mother wanted him to become an accountant and often seized his football in his childhood to make him concentrate in studies.
- In his childhood, he used to sleep with the football inside his shirt to avoid it being stolen.
- In 1976, just before his sixteenth birthday, he made his professional debut with Argentinos Juniors.
- On June 2, 1979, he scored his first goal for Argentina against Scotland.
- In 1979, he played for Argentina in the FIFA U-20 World Cup and helped the team won the tournament. He won the Golden Ball award as the tournament’s best player.
- In 1982, he played his first World Cup tournament. They were knocked out of the tournament by Brazil in the second round.
- Following the World Cup, he joined FC Barcelona. In his two seasons with Barcelona, he scored 38 goals in 58 games.
- On November 7, 1984, he married his longtime girlfriend Claudia Villafane. The couple has two daughters, Dalma Nerea and Giannina Dinorah.
- He then moved to Napoli where he witnessed the pinnacle of his career. He led the club to win the Serie A Italian Championships twice in 1986-87 and 1989-90. Additionally, Napoli efficaciously attained the Coppa Italia in 1987, the UEFA Cup in 1989 and the Italian Supercup in 1990.
- He was the first player in football history to set the world record transfer fee twice.
- He led Argentina to 1986 FIFA World Cup victory. He scored 5 goals and made 5 assists in the tournament. He scored a goal with his hand against England in the tournament which famously came to be known as “Hand of God”.
- He led his team again in the 1990 FIFA World Cup. They reached the finals but lost to West Germany in the end.
- In 1991, he was tested positive in using cocaine and was handed a 15-month suspension.
- In 1992, he left Napoli to join Sevilla of Spain, where he played for a year. And later, joined Newell’s Old Boys.
- In the 1994 FIFA World Cup, he played just two games; scoring one goal before failing an ephedrine drug test and was hence ousted from the tournament. This also marked the end of his International career.
- In 1995, he returned to Boca Juniors and played with the club for two years, before announcing his retirement in 1997 on the eve of his birthday.
- Since the 1980s he was a drug addict which negatively affected his performance and health. In 2004, he suffered a major myocardial infarction following a cocaine overdose.
- In 2000, he was named the “Player of the Century” along with Brazilian legend Pele.
- In 2004, he and Claudia Villafane got divorced. In the proceedings, he confirmed having an illegitimate son, Diego Sinagra, who presently is a footballer in Italy. He also accepted of having an illegitimate daughter Jana Maradona with Valeria Sabalain.
- In 2008, his daughter Giannina married the Argentine footballer Sergio Aguero who later separated in 2013.
- In 2009, Italian authorities declared that he owed $45 million (₹306 Crore) in unpaid taxes, penalties, charges and interest. He paid just $48,000 (₹33 Lakh), 2 luxury watches and a set of earrings.
- In 2017, he accused his two daughters and his ex-wife of stealing $4.5million (₹30 Crore) from him and asked them to be jailed.
- In 2018, he was caught in a controversy when during the Argentina Iceland FIFA World Cup match he was seen smoking a cigar in the stadium, though smoking was ban in all the stadiums of the World Cup.