Some Lesser Known Facts About Edinson Cavani
- Does Edinson Cavani smoke?: No
- He is the youngest of his siblings.
- There were times in his childhood where there was no food on the table. His family was quite poor and faced many economic troubles.
- His father himself was a footballer. He was Edinson’s first coach and taught him the basic techniques of football.
- In his childhood, he used to play on the streets with boys older than him. Most of the time he used to get roughed up, but he never stopped playing and grew up more physically strong.
- He joined Danubio’s Youth Academy in 2005 and then moved to Italian side Palermo in 2007 after spending two years at the club.
- In the 2008–2009 season, Edinson netted 14 goals for Palermo, earning the nickname ‘El Matador’ (The Bull).
- In July 2010, he was loaned to Napoli. In January 2011, he scored two hattricks and ended up as the highest goalscorer for his team in the 2010-2011 season with 25 goals.
- He scored his first international hat-trick on October 8, 2010, in a friendly against Indonesia.
- In the 2012-2013 season, he scored 29 goals in Serie A emerging as the top scorer of the league.
- In July 2013, PSG signed him from Napoli for $74 Million; the most expensive deal the French club had ever made.
- He scored his first goal for PSG in his second game for the club against Ajaccio on August 18, 2013.
- He represented Uruguay in the major International Tournaments like the 2012 Olympics, the 2013 Confederations Cup and the 2014 FIFA World Cup.
- In the 2016–17 season, he scored 14 goals in 14 matches in the league. He ended the season with 35 goals to his credit and was named the “Ligue 1 Player of the Year.”
- In the 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification (CONMEBOL) Tournament, he was the top scorer with 10 goals.
- On January 27, 2018, he became the All-Time Topscorer of PSG; surpassing the 156 goal record of Zlatan Ibrahimovic.
- In May 2018, he was selected in the Uruguayan team for the 2018 FIFA World Cup.
📢⚡TRENDING: List of IPL Winners (2008-2018)