Some Lesser Known Facts about Dwayne Johnson
- Does Dwayne Johnson smoke?: No
- Does Dwayne Johnson drink Alcohol?: Yes
- Dwayne Douglas Johnson is also known as through his ring name “The Rock”.
- He is a Canadian-American actor, producer, and semi-retired professional wrestler currently signed to WWE.
- Dwayne Johnson is the son of Ata Johnson and professional wrestler Rocky Johnson. His maternal grandfather, Peter Maivia, was also a wrestler. His cousin, Savelina Fanene, is also a wrestler currently working for WWE.
- His father is a Black Nova Scotian, and his mother is of Samoan decent. His father was member of the first black tag team which won the World Tag Team Championship in the World Wrestling Federation (WWF).
- For the short period of time, Johnson lived in the suburb of Grey Lynn in Auckland, New Zealand, with his mother’s family. He attended Richmond Road Primary School, before returning to the United States with his parents.
- He began playing football at Freedom High School (Pennsylvania) in the East Penn Conference. He was also a part of the school’s track and field and wrestling teams.
- Johnson was a college football player for the University of Miami, when he was the student winning a national championship on the 1991 Miami Hurricanes football team.
- In 1996, Johnson made his WWF debut as Rocky Maivia, a combination of his father and grandfather’s ring names, although his real name was accepted by the announcers. At beginning he was reluctant to take this ring name, but was convinced by Vince McMahon and Jim Ross. He played wrestling constantly until 2004.
- Dwayne Johnson made his film debut as lead actor in The Scorpion King in 2002 for which he was paid US $5.5 million, a world record for an actor in his first starring role. He returned to the WWE for the part-time in 2011 until 2013.
- As of October 2016, Johnson has taken 17 championship reigns in WWE competition incorporating 10 as a world champion, winning the WWF/E Championship eight times and the WCW/World Championship twice.
- Johnson carried off the Intercontinental Championship twice and the WWF Tag Team Championship five times. Johnson is the sixth Triple Crown Champion in the history of WWE, and has won also the 2000 Royal Rumble. He is widely received as one of the greatest pro wrestlers of all time.
- Apart From wrestling, he also set foot in the music world. In the year 2000, he appeared for the short period of time in Wyclef jean’s single “It doesn’t Matter” and in its video too. He also recorded for WWF The Music, Vol 5.
- He even hosted Saturday Night Live with fellow wrestlers Mike Foley, Triple H and The Big Show appearing in the show. He attributes the success of this show for him getting offers from the Hollywood studios.
- In the year 2006, he set up Dwayne Johnson Rock Foundation for betterment of terminally ill children.
- In 2007, he along with his ex-wife donated a million dollar to the University of Miami for renovation of its football facility. This is the largest donation to the university by its former students.
- Johnson’s autobiography The Rock Says…, co-written with Joe Layden, was published in 2000. It was at No. 1 on The New York Time’s Best Seller list, spent 20 weeks on The New York Times bestseller list and sold 720,000 copies in hardcover alone.
- Forbes named Dwayne Johnson in the Top 100 Most Powerful Celebrities in 2013.
- He has become the world’s highest paid actor in 2016.
- Time listed him one of the 100 most influential people in the world in 2016.
- Muscle & Fitness named Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson as their “Man of the Century” in 2015.
📢⚡TRENDING: List of ICC World Cup Winners (1975-2015)