Some Lesser Known Facts About George Michael
- Did George Michael smoke?: Yes
- Did George Michael drink alcohol?: Yes
- George was born to a Greek father and a Jewish mother.
- Very few people know that his first band was ‘The Executive’ (1979-80), which was formed in the summer of 1979, who played their first show on 5 November 1979, at a misty Bonfire night, in a Methodist church hall in Bushey, England.
- After his schooling, he formed the band Wham!, with his friend Andrew Ridgeley and gave their 1st U.S. hit with “Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go.”
- In 1986, the band split up after which he went solo and gave a hit “I Want Your Sex” with 7 million copies sold.
- In 1988, he won a Grammy Award for the song “I Knew You Were Waiting (for Me),” a duet with Aretha Franklin, and his album ‘Faith’ won the Grammy for album of the year.
- In 1998, he announced that he was gay after he was arrested for lewd conduct in a public bathroom in Beverly Hills, California.
- In 2000, he bought John Lennon’s Steinway Model Z upright piano for £1.67m, but returned it to Liverpool’s Beatles Story museum.
- In 2008, he released his song “December Song” as a free download with a hope that people would donate money to charity.
- He was partially colour-blind and used to wear contact lenses.
- He had 11 UK #1 and sold more than 100 million albums throughout his career span.
- His last album, Symphonica, was released in 2014.
- He died on Christmas 2016, 32 years after he wrote the song ‘Last Christmas’.
📢⚡TRENDING: Watch the biography of REAL "Gully Boy" - Naezy⚡