Wife: Radhika Puri
Hometown: Chennai, India
Age: 57 Years
Some Lesser Known Facts About Raghuram Rajan
- Does Raghuram Rajan smoke?: No
- Does Raghuram Rajan drink alcohol?: No
- His father was an IPS officer who topped his 1953 batch.
- Throughout his life, he thought his father was a diplomat.
- While he was young, he dreamed of becoming the Prime Minister of India.
- In his school, he was part of the orchestra.
- In an interview, he said, “I didn’t own a blazer in my school days”.
- In 1985, he was awarded Director’s Gold Medal as the best all-round student in IIT, Delhi.
- In 1987, he was awarded Gold Medal in IIM Ahmedabad.
- The title of his Ph.D. thesis was “Essays on Banking”.
- Rajan won the inaugural Fischer Black Prize in 2003.
- He predicted the financial crisis of 2008 very early, in the year 2005.
- He served as Chief Economist at the International Monetary Fund (IMF) from October 2003 to December 2006.
- He was as an honorary Economic Adviser by the then Prime Minister of India Dr. Manmohan Singh in 2008.
- For his book, ‘Fault Lines: How Hidden Fractures Still Threaten the World Economy,’ he was awarded the Financial Times-Goldman Sachs best business book of the year prize in 2010.
- He was appointed as Chief Economic Adviser to India’s Finance Ministry on 10 August 2012.
- On 5 September. 2013, he became the youngest Governor of the Reserve Bank of India.
- In 2014, it was suggested by economists all over the world that he could replace Christine Lagarde as head of the IMF.
- In 2014, Euromoney Magazine conferred the Best Bank Governor Award to Raghuram Rajan.
- In 2016, Time magazine named him in the list of the ‘100 Most Influential People in the World.’
- In September 2017, his book “I Do What I Do” was released. The book received massive media attention for being critical about government policies.
- In an interview, he said that “my son thinks I am from the Stone Age”.
- Raghuram Rajan is an absolute vegetarian.
- He is called a “Rockstar” and a “Financial Prophet” in the field of Economics.
- On 14 December 2022, he joined Rahul Gandhi during the Bharat Jodo Yatra in Rajasthan.