Rahul Gandhi Age, Caste, Wife, Girlfriend, Family, Biography & More
Age: 52 Years
Net Worth: 15.88 Crore
Caste: Kashmiri Brahmin
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 170 cm
in meters- 1.70 m
in feet inches- 5’ 7”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 70 kg
in pounds- 154 lbs
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Hair Colour||Dark Brown|
|Political Party||Indian National Congress (INC)
|Political Journey||• In 2004, he was elected to the Lok Sabha for the first time from Amethi constituency in Uttar Pradesh.
• On 24 September 2007, he was appointed General Secretary of All India Congress Committee.
• He was also given charge of National Student Union of India and Indian Youth Congress.
• In the 2009 General Elections, he retained his Lok Sabha seat from the Amethi constituency.
• In January 2013, he was elevated to the position of the vice-president of Indian National Congress.
• He retained his Lok Sabha seat from the Amethi constituency in the 2014 General Elections.
• On 11 December 2017, he was elected President of the Indian National Congress.
• In the 2019 Lok Sabha Elections, he registered a massive win from the Waynaad Constituency; however, he lost the Amethi seat to BJP's Smriti Irani
• On 3 July 2019, he quit as Congress chief. Mr. Gandhi made the resignation letter public, in which he held himself accountable for the 2019 Lok Sabha loss.
• On 24 March 2023, he was disqualified as a member of the Lok Sabha after a Surat court convicted him in the 2019 'Modi surname' criminal defamation case on 23 March 2023. The Hindu
|Biggest Rival||Narendra Modi|
|Date of Birth||19 June 1970|
|Age (as of 2022)||52 Years|
|Birthplace||New Delhi, India|
|Hometown||New Delhi, India (Ancestral origin - Lusiana, Italy)|
|School(s)||• St. Columba's School, Delhi, India
• The Doon School, The Mall Dehradun, Uttarakhand, India
Note: After the assassination of his grandmother, Indira Gandhi, he was mostly homeschooled. Rahul Gandhi
|College/University||• St. Stephen's College, Delhi, India
• Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, U.S.
• Rollins College, Winter Park, Florida, U.S.
• Trinity College, Cambridge, England
|Educational Qualification(s)||• Bachelor of Arts from Rollins College, Florida, United States
• M.Phil (Economics) from Trinity College, Cambridge, England
• Studied International Relations and Politics at Harvard
Note: After the assassination of his father, Rajiv Gandhi, he moved from Harvard to Rollins College, where he completed his study in International Relations and Politics. Rahul Gandhi - YouTube
|Caste||Kashmiri Brahmin (Dattatreya) Economic Times|
|Blood Group||B (-ve)|
|Food Habit||Non-Vegetarian Rahul Gandhi - YouTube
Note: In an interview, he talked about his food preferences and said that he never liked jackfruit and peas.
|Address||12, Tughlak Lane, New Delhi|
|Hobbies||Reading, Travelling, Scuba Diving, Free Diving|
|Controversies||• In December 2010, he was criticized for his comment that Hindu extremism is more dangerous than Islamic militancy.
• In February 2014, he was criticized when his college certificate name and date did not match with what he had claimed.
• In October 2012, he faced allegation for raping a girl in Uttar Pradesh along with his friends. Later, the charge was, however, dropped by the Supreme Court. BBC
• In August 2013, he was criticized for his statement that poverty is only a "state of mind."
• In May 2011, Uttar Pradesh Police arrested him for protesting against a highway project along with farmers at Bhatta Parsaul village.
• He was also charged for the corruptions in the National Herald Case.
• During the 2019 Lok Sabha Elections, he had to regret over his comment about Prime Minister Narendra Modi that "even the Supreme Court has accepted that Chowkidar Chor Hai."
• National Herald Case: In 2012, Subramanian Swamy brought this case in a trial court. According to Swamy, the Gandhis took over Associated Journals Limited (AJL), the publishing house of the National Herald started by Jawaharlal Nehru in 1938, to try to acquire more than 20bn rupees in property assets by using Congress party funds. In 2008, the National Herald was shut down; at that time, AJL owed the Congress an accumulated debt of 900m rupees. In 2010, the Gandhis launched a non-profit company named Young India Private Limited and assigned the debt owed by AJL to this company. Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi each own 38% of Young India Private Limited as its board of directors, and the remaining 24% is owned by Congress leaders Motilal Vora and Oscar Fernandes, journalist Suman Dubey and entrepreneur Sam Pitroda. In June 2022, the Enforcement Directorate (ED) summoned Mr Gandhi and Sonia Gandhi to explain allegations of money laundering. BBC
• UK comment row: In March 2023, the BJP accused Rahul Gandhi of defaming India while he was speaking with journalists at an event organised by Indian Journalists Association in London. According to the BJP, Rahul Gandhi sought the intervention of foreign countries to save democracy in India. Rahul Gandhi, at the event, said, “The surprising thing is that the so-called defenders of democracy, which are the US, European countries, seem to be oblivious that a huge chunk of democratic model has come undone. The opposition is fighting the battle and it is not an Indian battle alone, actually it is much more of a bigger battle, a battle for a huge part of democratic people.” The Wire
• Row over his ‘women being sexually assaulted’ remarks: In March 2023, Delhi police served notice to Rahul Gandhi over his ‘women being sexually assaulted’ remarks during his Bharat Jodo Yatra in Jammu and Kashmir. According to Special Commissioner of Police, Sagar Preet Hooda, who led a team of officers to Mr. Gandhi’s residence in New Delhi, information about the “victims” Mr. Gandhi referred to in his remarks was sought from him. Mr. Hooda said, “We met Mr. Gandhi at his residence and spoke to him briefly about his remarks. He said he would provide us with the information once he has compiled it since it was a long yatra and he had met several people. He has assured us to give the information as soon as possible." The Hindu
• Modi surname defamation case: On 23 March 2023, the Surat district court sentenced Rahul Gandhi to two years imprisonment in the criminal defamation case filed against him over his alleged 'Modi surname' remark. In April 2019, in the midst of parliamentary polls, BJP MLA and former Gujarat minister Purnesh Modi filed the case against Mr. Gandhi, alleging that while addressing a poll rally in Karnataka on 13 April 2019, Mr. Gandhi defamed the entire Modi community by saying “how come all the thieves have Modi as the common surname?” Later, the court granted bail to Rahul gandhi. The Times of India Senior Bihar BJP leader and Rajya Sabha member Sushil Kumar Modi also filed a defamation case against Rahul Gandhi at the court of Patna’s Chief Judicial Magistrate over Mr. Gandhi’s “Modi surname” remark following which the court summoned Mr Gandhi to appear before it on 12 April 2023 to record his statement. The Hindu On 3 April 2023, Rahul Gandhi filed an appeal against his conviction following which the Surat court, while granting bail to Mr Gandhi, suspended his sentence till the disposal of his appeal. The appeal was accompanied by two applications, the first one was for Suspension of Sentence, which is essentially an application for regular bail, while the second application was for Suspension of Conviction. The Hindu On 20 April 2023, Surat Sessions Court dismissed his plea seeking to stay in his conviction. The Hindu On 2 May 2023, the Gujarat High Court refused to grant an interim stay on his conviction in the case; Mr. Gandhi had sought an interim stay of the conviction till the High Court pronounced the order on his petition. NDTV
• Disqualified from Loka Sabha: On 24 March 2023, a day after Rahul Gandhi was convicted in the 'Modi surname' defamation case, he was disqualified from Lok Sabha. A notification from the lower House, signed by Secretary General Utpal Kumar Singh, read, "Mr. Gandhi stands disqualified from the membership of Lok Sabha from the date of his conviction, as per the terms of Article 102 (1)(e) of the Constitution and Section 8 of the Representation of the People Act, 1951." The Hindu
|Girls, Affairs, and More|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||• Veronique Cartelli (a Spanish architect) from Venezuela
• Noal Zaher (Afghan Princess)
|Parents||Father- Rajiv Gandhi (Former Indian Prime Minister)
Mother- Sonia Gandhi (Former UPA President)
Sister- Priyanka Gandhi
|Relatives||Brother-in-Law- Robert Vadra (Businessman)
Uncle- Late Sanjay Gandhi (Politician)
Aunty- Maneka Gandhi (Politician)
Cousin- Varun Gandhi (Politician)
|Food||Noodles, Coastal Indian Dishes, Seafood, Chicken Tikka, Seekh Kebab, Mutton, Omelette|
|Restaurant(s)||Moti Mahal in Delhi, Sagar, Swagat, Sarvana Bhavan Rahul Gandhi - YouTube|
|Politician(s)||Rajiv Gandhi, Jawaharlal Nehru|
|Salary (approx.)||Rs. 1 Lakh + other allowances (As an MP)|
|Assets/Properties (as in 2019)||Immovable Assets
• A piece of farmland in Delhi's Sultanpur Village and two office premises in Gurgaon worth Rs. 10.08 Crore
• 333.3 gm of gold jewellery worth Rs. 5.80 Crore
• Bonds debentures and shares worth Rs. 5.19 Crore
• Bank balance worth Rs. 17.93 lakh
• Rs. 4o thousand Cash in hand
Note: In his affidavit in 2019, he mentioned that he did not own a car to his name
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 15.88 Crore (As in 2019)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Rahul Gandhi
- Does Rahul Gandhi smoke?: Not Known
- Does Rahul Gandhi drink alcohol?: Not Known
- Rahul was born as the 1st of the 2 children of Rajiv Gandhi and Italy-born Sonia Gandhi in New Delhi, India.
- He is the grandson of late Indira Gandhi (Former Prime Minister of India) and Feroze Gandhi.
- He is the great-grandson of India’s first Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru.
- Because of the Sikh extremism after Indira Gandhi’s assassination, Rahul was mostly home-schooled along with his sister.
- After his father’s assassination in 1991, he shifted to Rollins College from Harvard University due to security reasons.
- He used the name- “Raul Vinci” in his college days in order to keep his Identity secret.
- After graduation, Rahul Gandhi worked at a management consulting firm in London, Monitor Group; this was his first job, and his first pay cheque was around £2500 or £3000. Rahul Gandhi – YouTube
- He became one of the directors of Backops Services Private Ltd (a Mumbai-based technology outsourcing firm).
- In 2004, he announced to take part in the active politics and contested his first Lok Sabha election from Amethi constituency in Uttar Pradesh and won with a victory margin of over 1 lakh.
- Rahul Gandhi didn’t hold any position in the Indian National Congress until 2006.
- He is often mocked as ‘Pappu’ on social media. Once, former cabinet minister Venkaiah Naidu called him ‘Pappu Ji’ in the Lok Sabha. Since then social media has made many trolls of his name.
- In December 2017, Rahul Gandhi was elected the President of the Indian National Congress. He was elected unopposed as no other candidate filed his nomination.
- When Rahul Gandhi visited Singapore in 2018, his government’s development (in Congress Regimes) was questioned by a journalist.
- On 21 July 2018, during his speech in parliament, he unexpectedly hugged PM Narendra Modi and winked towards party colleagues.
- He holds a black belt in Aikido, a modern Japanese martial art. He used to box in college. Rahul Gandhi – YouTube