Profession: Chess Player
|Full Name||Vidit Santosh Gujrathi Sportstar|
|Famous For||Attaining the title of Grandmaster in January 2013|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Coach||• International Master Anup Deshmukh
• International Master Roktim Bandopadhyay
• Grand Master Alon Greenfield
|Achievements||• Finished second in Asian Youth Championship in U-12 category in 2006
• Won the World Youth Chess Championship in U-14 category in 2008
• Won a bronze medal in World Junior Chess Championship in Turkey
• Captain of Gold winning Indian team in FIDE Online Chess Olympiad 2020
|Date of Birth||24 October 1994 (Monday)|
|Age (as in 2020)||26 Years|
|Birthplace||Indore, Madhya Pradesh|
|School||Fravashi Academy, Nashik|
|Food Habit||Non-Vegetarian Instagram|
|Hobbies||Trekking, Photography, Playing games|
|Controversy||Indian Grand Master Vidit Gujrathi along with his fellow players Abhijit Kunte and Lalit Babu was attacked by unidentified assailants in Makati, Philippines. Gujrathi informed about the incident on his Facebook page and he also complained about the poor facilities in the Philippines. The post caught FIDE's attention and they took action against all the mentioned issues. Scroll|
|Relationships & More|
|Parents||Father- Dr. Santosh Gujrathi
Mother- Dr. Nikita Santosh Gujrathi
|Siblings||Sister- Vedika Gujrathi|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Vidit Gujrathi
- Vidit Gujrathi is a well-known name in the world of chess. He started his coaching in chess at an early age and his first achievement was when he finished in second place in the Asian Youth Championship in the Under-12 category in 2006.
- In January 2013, he became the thirtieth player from India to attain the title of Grandmaster. He is the third-highest rated player from India, and he is the fourth Indian player with an Elo rating of 2700.
- In 2008, Vidit won the World Youth Chess Championship in the under-14 section and became the first Indian to do so. He scored 9 points out of 11, fulfilling the final norm to make him an International Master.
- Vidit achieved the final norm to become the Grand Master in the eighth round of the Rose Valley Kolkata Open Grandmaster’s tournament in 2012. He placed third in the tournament.
- During the Hyderabad International Grandmasters chess tournament in 2013, Vidit finished third in the tournament and won Rs. 1.5 lakhs as the prize money. He became the captain of the Gold winning Indian team in the FIDE Online Chess Olympiad 2020.
- In November 2019, Vidit played with the world champion Magnus Carlsen at Tata Steel Chess India Blitz in Kolkata. This game ended in five moves and it was the shortest game of Magnus Carlsen’s career. In one of his live streams, Vidit along with Tanmay Bhat and Samay Raina reacted to the video of this game.
- Vidit recorded two bestseller DVDs for ChessBase giving tips and tricks for the beginners. They are titled “The Fashionable Caro-Kann Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 by Vidit Gujrathi.”
- Vidit received a scholarship offered by the Sports Authority of India and ONGC (Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited). This scholarship helped him prepare under the guidance of a coach like Alon Greenfeld.
- In August 2020, the founder of a Black Lotus, Om Swami offered a sponsorship to the chess champion, Vidit Gujrathi. Black Lotus is a mediation application that has grown rapidly in the app store. The deal carried out between both, Black Lotus and Vidit was done with the combination of cash and stocks of the company. ANI
- With the whole world suffering from the Covid-19 pandemic, several people started streaming online and among them is Vidit Gujrathi. Vidit has been streaming chess on his YouTube channel along with other YouTubers like comedian Samay Raina, Tanmay Bhat, and even featured some fellow chess players from across the world like Radjabov, GM Srinath.
- The highlight of his career in chess was when he defeated the five-time world champion, Vishwanath Anand in 2019. He played against Anand in 2018 for the first time and analyzed his strengths and weaknesses. Times of India
References/Sources: [ + ]