|Full name||Ashish Jitendra Desai LiveLaw|
|Service Years||27 November 1985 - present|
|Designation(s)||• Assistant Government Pleader (1994)
• Additional Public Prosecutor (1995)
• Central Government Standing Counsel (2006-2009)
• Additional Judge of the Gujarat High Court (21 November 2011 - 6 September 2013)
• Permanent Judge of the Gujarat High Court (6 September 2013)
• Acting Chief Justice of the Gujarat High Court (26 February 2023)
|Date of Birth||5 July 1962 (Thursday)|
|Age (as of 2023)||61 Years|
|Birthplace||Vadodara, Gujarat, India|
|College/University||• St. Xavier’s College, Ahmedabad
• Sir L.A. Shah Law College, Ahmedabad
|Educational Qualification(s)||• BA (Economics) from St. Xavier’s College, Ahmedabad
• LLB from Sir L.A. Shah Law College, Ahmedabad
|Relationships & More|
|Marital Status||Not known|
|Parents||Father- Jitendra P. Desai (deceased; judge of the Gujarat High Court from 1983 to 1989)|
|Salary (approx.)||Rs. 2,25,000 + other allowances (w.e.f. 1 January 2016) Department of Justice – Government of India|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Ashish J. Desai
- Ashish J. Desai is an Indian advocate. He has served as both, a Judge, and the acting Chief Justice of the Gujarat High Court. In July 2023, he came into the limelight after the Supreme Court collegium put forward his name for the position of Chief Justice of the Kerala High Court.
- After finishing his formal education, he appeared for the examination of the Bar Council of Gujarat and managed to clear it, thereby becoming an official member of the council as a practising attorney on 27 November 1985.
- Afterwards, he commenced his apprenticeship at the law office of M. C. Bhatt and Daksha M. Bhatt, both esteemed attorneys based in Gujarat.
- Later, he started practising law at City Civil and Sessions Court in Ahmedabad.
- Ashish Desai started practising law at the Gujarat High Court in 1991.
- He has represented his clients in various legal issues such as constitutional, civil, and criminal cases.
- After Sonia Gokani stepped down, Ashish J. Desai took on the role of interim Chief Justice of the Gujarat High Court on 26 February 2023.
- Ashish J. Desai’s name was proposed by the Supreme Court collegium in July 2023 as a candidate for the role of Chief Justice of the Kerala High Court. The collegium of the Supreme Court, in its official statement, stated,
Having regard to all relevant factors, the Collegium is of the considered view that Mr Justice Desai is suitable in all respects for being appointed as Chief Justice of the High Court of Kerala. In view of the above, the Collegium resolves to recommend that Mr Justice Ashish J Desai be appointed as the Chief Justice of the High Court of Kerala.”
According to sources, when suggesting Desai’s name, the Supreme Court Collegium took into account the absence of any representation from the High Court of Gujarat among the Chief Justices of the High Courts.
- He has been a member of both the Gujarat Electricity Board panel and the Sardar Sarovar Narmada Nigam Limited panel.
- Ashish J. Desai is an avid traveller and has explored many destinations.