Age: 60 Years
Hometown: Varkala, Madras
|Real name/Full name||Raman Ashok Kumar The Hindu|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Debut||Film: Varnam (1989)|
|Date of Birth||Year, 1962|
|Date of Death||26 September 2022|
|Place of Death||Kochi, India|
|Age (at the time of death)||60 Years|
|Death Cause||Multiple health issues The Indian Express|
|Address||Bharat Bhavan in Thiruvananthapuram, India|
|Relationships & More|
|Marital Status (at the time of death)||Married|
|Children||Daughter- Abhirami (a PhD scholar)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Ashokan
- Ashokan was an Indian filmmaker who predominantly worked in the Malayalam film industry. He has more than 130 Malayalam films to his credit. On 26 September 2022, he died in Kochi, India and was suffering from multiple health issues. During his last days, he was staying in Singapore and returned to India and was getting medical treatment at a hospital in Kochi.
- Soon after completing his formal education, Ashokan ventured into the Malayalam film industry and started assisting late filmmaker J. Sasikumar as an assistant director. In the late 1980s, he started directing Malayalam films under his own banner and made his directorial debut with the film Varnam in 1989 starring Jayaram, Ranjini, and Suresh Gopi.
- In the early 1990s, he directed a few films such as Saandhram (1990), Mookilla Rajyathu (1991), and Aacharyan (1993). These movies earned him immense commercial popularity and critical success. According to Ashokan, he directed most of his movies in a collaboration with the Malayalam actor Suresh Gopi.
- In 1990, the film Saandram was co-directed by him with Thaha. In this film, Suresh Gopi and Parvathy were in the lead roles. The film revolved around Suresh Gopi and Parvathy, a newlywed couple, whose honeymoon was spoiled by a dangerous man.
- Later, he directed a telefilm named Kanappurangal. This film earned him the prestigious Kerala State Film Award for best director.
- Thereafter, he superannuated from the Malayalam film industry as a filmmaker and established a software company in Singapore, which particularly works in the Gulf and Kochi areas of India and used to manage the affairs of this company as a director from Singapore along with his family members. Reportedly, he shifted from Chennai to Singapore soon after his wedding.
- In 1993, the film Aacharyan was written by the journalist-script writer, B Jayachandran.
- Ashokan is best remembered for the Malayalam film Mookkilla Rajyathu, which was released in 1991 and is considered one of the best comedy films in Malayalam cinema. The cast of the film included Thilakan, Jagathy Sreekumar, Mukesh, and Thilakan who escaped from a mental asylum and struggled a lot to survive in the outside world.
- In 2003, he directed a telefilm titled Melody of Loneliness. The Government of Kerala honoured this film with the Kerala State Award soon after its release.