Age: 72 Years
Wife: Rula Saade Ghani
Hometown: Logar, Afghanistan
Some Lesser Known Facts About Ashraf Ghani
- Ashraf Ghani has served as finance minister of Afghanistan and as Chancellor of Kabul University.
- Ghani has worked even with World Bank before returning to Afghanistan in 2002.
- His wife Rula Saade is from Lebanon. Ghani and Saade met when they were studying in American University Beirut and they married later.
- Ghani has served as a teacher in many Universities around the World. He was invited to teach at the University of California, Berkeley in 1983, and then at Johns Hopkins University from 1983 to 1991. He has also attended the Harvard-INSEAD and World Bank-Stanford Graduate School of Business’s leadership training program. He served on the faculty of Kabul University (1973–77), Aarhus University in Denmark (1977), University of California, Berkeley (1983), and Johns Hopkins University (1983–1991).
- In 2013, he was ranked 50th in the list of the world’s top 100 intellectual persons conducted by Foreign Policy magazine and second in a similar poll run by Prospect magazine.
- In August 2021, after the Taliban militants seized Kabul city, he allegedly flew out of the country. Reportedly, he flew to Uzbekistan. The Times of India Later, through a Facebook comment, he said, To avoid bloodshed,
I thought it would be better to leave. The Taliban have won with the judgement of their swords and guns, and are now responsible for the honour, property and self-preservation of their countrymen.”