Ban Ki-moon Height, Weight, Age, Family, Biography & More
|Real Name||Ban Ki-moon
|Profession||South Korean politician and statesman
|Political Journey/Diplomatic Career||• Ban joined the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in 1970 and his first overseas posting was to New Delhi.
• In 1974 he got his first posting to the United Nations, as First Secretary of the South Permanent Observer Mission.
• After the assassination of Park Chung-hee in 1979, Ban assumed the office of Director of the United Nations Division.
• Ban became director of the United Nations' International Organizations and Treaties Bureau, in 1980, the headquarter of that was in Seoul.
• In 1992, Ban became Vice Chairman of the South-North Joint Nuclear Control Commission, following the adoption by South and North Korea of the Joint Declaration of the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.
• From 1993 to 1994 he was Korea's deputy ambassador to the United States. He was promoted to the position of Deputy Minister for Policy Planning and International Organisations in 1995 and then appointed National Security Advisor to the President in 1996.
• Ban became Ambassador to Austria and Slovenia in 1998.
• In 1999, he was elected as Chairman of the Preparatory Commission for the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization (CTBTO PrepCom).
• In 2004, he became the foreign Minister of South Korea under President Roh Moo-hyun.
• In 2006, he campaigned for the office of Secretary General of United Nation, On 13 October 2006, he was elected to be the eighth Secretary-General by the United Nations General Assembly. On 1st January 2007 he succeeded Kofi Annan.
• Ban announced his candidacy for Secretary General again in 2011, and he started his second tenure from 1st January 2012 that will last till 31st December 2016.
|Physical Stats & More
|Height||in centimeters- 174 cm
in meters- 1.72 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 8”(approx.)
|Weight||in Kilograms- 74 kg(approx.)
in Pounds- 163 lbs
|Eye Colour||Light Brown
|Hair Colour||Light Brown
|Date of Birth||13 June 1944
|Age (as in 2017)||73 Years
|Birth Place||Injō, Japanese Korea
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Gemini
|Hometown||Injō, Japanese Korea
|School||Chungju High School
|College||Seoul National University, John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University, University of Malta, University of Cambridge.
|Educational Qualifications||Bachelor degree in International Relation, Master of Public Administration, Doctor of Laws.
|Family||Father- Not Known
Mother- Not Known
Brothers- Ban Ki-ho and Ban Ki-sang
Sisters- Ban Jeong-ran and Ban Gyeong-hee
|Girls, Affairs and More
|Children||Son- Ban Woo-hyun
Daughters- Ban Seon-yong and Ban Hyun-hee
|Salary||$227,253 per month
|Net Worth (approx.)||$1.5 Million
|Awards and Nomination||• Awards won by Ban Ki-moon in 2016
Grand Cross of the Order of the Liberator General San Martín (Argentina)
He was awarded the Order of Friendship by Vladimir Putin, (Russia)
Grand Cross of the Order of the Netherlands Lion (Netherlands)
• Awards won by Ban Ki-moon in 2014
Tipperary International Peace Award (Ireland)
• Awards won by Ban ki-moon in 2013
Grand Cross of the Order of Saint-Charles (Monaco)
Grand Golden Order of the City of Vienna (Austria)
• Awards received by Ban Ki-moon in 2010
Order of Friendship, 1st class (Kazakhstan)
Order of Ismoili Samoni (Tajikistan)
• Awards received by Ban Ki-moon in 2008
Grand Cross of the Order of Sikatuna, Rank of Raja (Philippines)
Grand Cross of the National Order of Burkina Faso (Burkina Faso)
Grand Officer of the National Order of Ivory Coast (Ivory Coast)
• Awards won by Ban Ki-moon in 2006
Grand Cross of the Order of the Sun (Gran Cruz del Sol) (Peru)
Ban Ki-moon was awarded the Order of Service Merit (South Korea)
• Awards won by Ban Ki-moon in 20th century
Order of Service Merit in 1975 and 1986 (South Korea)
Some Lesser Known Facts About Ban Ki-moon
- Does Ban Ki-moon smoke?: No
- Does Ban Ki-moon drink Alcohol?: No
- Ban Ki-moon took birth on 13th June 1944 in countryside of South Korea, in Haengchi village.
- When Ban was born, at that time Korea was under Japanese Rule.
- Ban grew up in the town of Chungju. when Ban was a kid, his father ran a warehouse business. But that warehouse business came into bankruptcy and the family lost its middle-class standard of living.
- When Ban was only 6 years old, Korean War broke out and his family moved to remote mountainside of the country. After ending of the War, his family returned to Chungju. Ban said once that during this time, he met American soldiers.
- Ban was extra-ordinary student in English language. Ban won an essay contest sponsored by the Red Cross and got a trip to the United States where he lived in San Francisco with a host family for several months. As part of the trip, Ban met U.S. President John F. Kennedy.
- Ban has more concerns about Global Warning, he met George W. Bush then President of USA and urged him to crucial steps to prevent the emission of Greenhouse gases. Ban stated, “For my generation, coming of age at the height of the Cold War, fear of nuclear winter seemed the leading existential threat on the horizon. But the danger posed by war to all humanity—and to our planet—is at least matched by climate change”.
- In March 2007, Ban went to the trip of Middle East, a mortar hit the ground just 80 meters (260 ft) from where the Secretary-General was standing. intervening a press conference in Baghdad’s Green Zone, and visibly shaking Ban and others. No one was hurt in the incident.
- Ban Ki-moon has faced the flak many times. According to The Washington Post, “some UN employees and delegates” manifested resentment at Ban’s perceived favoritism in the appointment of South Korean nationals in key posts.
- Former UN Under Secretary General for Oversight Services Inga-Britt Ahlenius reprehended Ban Ki-moon after resigning her post in 2010, calling him reprehensible. Ahlenius’s critique was based on the grounds that the Secretary-General consistently made efforts to undermine the Office of Internal Oversight Services (OIOS) mandate and challenge its operational independence.
- Ban Ki-moon met Yoo Soon-taek in 1962 when they both were studying in high school. Ban was 18 years old, and Yoo Soon-taek was his secondary school’s student council president. Ban Ki-moon married Yoo Soon-taek in 1971.
- Their elder daughter, Seon-yong, was born in 1972 and now works for the Korea Foundation in Seoul. Her spouse is a native of India.
- In 1974, their son was born, he did MBA from Anderson School of Management at University of California. He works for an investment firm in New York.
- His younger daughter, Hyun-hee (born 1976), is a field officer for UNICEF in Nairobi.
- Ban was listed 32nd most powerful person in the world by Forbes, highest among South Koreans in 2013. He was named the third most powerful South Korean after Lee Kun-hee and Lee Jae-yong in 2014.
- Jerry Brown Height, Weight, Age, Biography, Wife & More
- Gautam Adani Age, Wife, Children, Biography, Facts & More
- Tanya Mallya (Vijay Mallya’s Daughter) Age, Family, Biography & More
- John Key Height, Weight, Age, Family, Biography & More
- Anagha Godbole Height, Weight, Age, Husband, Family, Biography & More
- Hitesh Sonik (Sunidhi Chauhan’s Husband) Height, Weight, Age, Affairs, Wife, Biography & More
- Cristiano Ronaldo Height, Weight, Age, Biography, Affairs & More
- John McCain Age, Wife, Biography & More