Marital Status: Unmarried
Hometown: Imphal, Manipur
Age: 23 Years
|Full name||Bindyarani Devi Sorokhaibam The Indian Express|
|Other Name||Mirabai 2.0 The Indian Express|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height The Times of India||in centimeters- 144 cm
in meters- 1.44 m
in feet & inches- 4’ 9”
|Weight Deccan Herald||in kilograms- 55 kg
in pounds-121 lbs
• 2016 IWLF Youth Nationals (Bhubaneswar) with a total weight of 151kg (65kg Snatch+ 86kg clean and jerk)
• 2019 Commonwealth Weightlifting Championships (Apia) with a total weight of 183kg (78kg Snatch +105kg clean-and-jerk)
• 2019 Khelo India Youth Games U-21 (Pune) in 55kg category with a total weight of 179kg
• 2021 World Weightlifting Championships (Tashkent) with 114kg clean and jerk in the 55kg women’s category
• 2022 Khelo India Women League Competition (Nagrota Bagwan)
• 2021 IWLF Youth, Junior & Senior National Weightlifting Championships (Patiala) in 55kg category with a total lift of 185kg (78kg Snatch + 107kg clean and jerk)
• 2016 Commonwealth Junior Championships
• 2019 IWLF Senior National Weightlifting Championships (Visakhapatnam) with a total weight of 172kg
• 2021 Commonwealth Weightlifting Championships (Uzbekistan)
• 2022 Commonwealth Games (Birmingham) in the women's 55kg category with a total weight of 202kg (86kg snatch +116kg clean and jerk)
• 2018 Senior Nationals (Moodbidri) in 53 kg category with a total lift of 178 kg
|Date of Birth||27 January 1999 (Wednesday)|
|Age (as of 2022)||23 Years|
|Ethnicity||Manipuri The Times of India|
|Address||Langol Ningthou Leikai in Imphal West, Manipur|
|Relationships & More|
|Parents||Father- Sorokhaibam Rajen Singh (farmer and runs a grocery shop)
Mother-S. Ibemcha Devi (priest)
Note: In an interview, Bindyarani Devi's brother Sorokhaibam Suraj Singh revealed that his mother also worked as a house help in their neighbourhood in Imphal. Northeast Live
|Siblings||Brother- Sorokhaibam Suraj Singh
Note: She has two siblings.
Some Lesser Known Facts About Bindyarani Devi
- Bindyarani Devi is an Indian weightlifter, who competes in the 55kg and 53kg weight classes. She won a silver medal at the 2022 Commonwealth Games (Birmingham) in the women’s 55kg category with an overall lift of 202kg, with 86kg snatch and 116kg clean and jerk.
- Inclined toward sports since childhood, she started her journey as a Taekwondo player. She trained and competed in Taekwondo competitions from 2008 to 2012.
- As her short height was ideal for weightlifting, she gave up Taekwondo and started weightlifting in 2013.
- Following the same trajectory as her fellow Manipuri Mirabai Chanu, an Indian weightlifter who won the silver medal at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics in the Women’s 49 kg category, Bindyarani began her journey as a weightlifter training at the SAI North Eastern Regional Centre in Imphal. After three long years, Devi was selected for training at the National Centres of Excellence (NCOE) Imphal.
- Mirabai Chanu grew up idolising Kunjarani Devi, a pioneer of Indian women’s weightlifting and one of the first woman lifters from India to win medals at the international level. In an interview, she said,
Though we come from the same state and from nearby towns around Imphal, I have no relationship with Mirabai Chanu. I did not follow her into weightlifting. I was inspired by Kunjarani Devi.”
- She started competing in weightlifting at the 2016 IWLF Youth Nationals (Bhubaneswar) in which she participated in the 53kg category.
- In 2019, when Bindyarani Devi was first selected for the national camp in NIS Patiala, she arrived at the camp without a pair of weightlifting shoes for her workout sessions. At that time, Olympic silver medalist Mirabai Chanu gifted her training shoes and aided her in the camp.