Marital Status: Married
Hometown: Welkom, South Africa
Age: 32 Years
Some Lesser Known Facts About Dean Elgar
- Does Dean Elgar drink alcohol?: Yes
- During his school cricket days, Dean played against South African born New Zealand fast bowler Neil Wagner.
- In 2005, he was named ‘South African Country Districts Player of the Year’ for his remarkable performances for Free State.
- For the first time, he captained the 2006 Under-19 Cricket World Cup in Sri Lanka.
- He is the 12th overall batsman to get dismissed on 199 in a Test match, against Bangladesh at Potchefstroom.
- Dean had wait twice to make his ODI debut as when he was selected for the Sri Lankan ODI series in early 2012, he had to back off due to an injury. And, when he was supposed to make his ODI debut against England, the match was abandoned due to rain.
- He had a nightmare Test debut against Australia at Perth in 2012, where he got out on zero in both innings.
- Over time, he has earned the reputation of being a gusty, focused, and a technically sound batsman. During the 3rd Test against England at The Oval, he had a suspected broken finger, but despite that, he made a fighting 136 over five and a half hours at the crease.
- During the same series, he became South Africa’s 12th Test skipper when Faf du Plessis missed the Lord’s Test due to the birth of his first child in South Africa.
- He is an avid dog lover.