|Real Name||Gopalkrishna Devdas Gandhi|
|Profession||Retired IAS Officer and Diplomat|
|Major Designations||• In 1968, became an IAS Officer of Tamil Nadu Cadre.
• From 1968 to 1985, served the Tamil Nadu Government in different capacities.
• From 1985 to 1987, remained Secretary to Vice-President of India.
• In 1992, became Minister (Culture) in High Commission of India, UK and Director, The Nehru Centre, London, UK.
• In 1996, served as High Commissioner of India to South Africa and Lesotho.
• From 1997 to 2000, remained Secretary to President of India.
• In 2000, High Commissioner of India in Sri Lanka.
• In 2002, served as Ambassador of India to Norway, and Iceland.
• In 2003, retired from IAS.
• On 14 December 2004, appointed Governor of West Bengal.
• From December 2011 to May 2014, served as the Chairman of Kalakshetra Foundation, Chennai.
• From 5 March 2012 to May 2014, served as the chairman of governing body of Indian Institute of Advanced Study, and President of its society.
• On 11 July 2017, he became Opposition's choice for Vice President of India.
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 173 cm
in meters- 1.73 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 8”
|Weight (approx.)||in Kilograms- 75 kg
in Pounds- 165 lbs
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Date of Birth||22 April 1946|
|Age (as in 2017)||71 Years|
|Birth Place||Delhi, British India|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Taurus|
|College||St. Stephen's College, Delhi University|
|Educational Qualifications||A Master's Degree in English Literature from St. Stephen's College of Delhi University|
|Family||Father- Devdas Gandhi (Journalist)
Mother- Lakshmi Gandhi
Brothers- Rajmohan Gandhi (a biographer and a research professor), Ramchandra Gandhi (an Indian philosopher)
Sister- Tara Bhattacharjee (Gandhi)
Paternal Grandfather- Mahatma Gandhi
Maternal Grandfather- C. Rajagopalachari (Rajaji)
|Major Controversies||While delivering a lecture at the 15th D P Kohli Memorial, he made a controversial comment on CBI. He said, "[The CBI] is seen as the government's hatchet, rather than honesty's ally. It is often called DDT — meaning not the dichloro diphenyl trichloroethane, the colourless, tasteless, odourless insecticide it should be, but the department of dirty tricks."|
|Favourite Leader||Mahatma Gandhi|
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Net Worth (approx.)||Not Known|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Gopalkrishna Gandhi
- Does Gopalkrishna Gandhi smoke?: Not Known
- Does Gopalkrishna Gandhi drink alcohol?: Not Known
- He was born in Delhi to the Great Gandhi Family.
- His grandfather, Mahatma Gandhi, is the most revered figure in India and has been given the sobriquet of “Father of Nation.”
- After completing his Master’s in English Literature from St. Stephen’s College of Delhi University, he started preparing for the Civil Services and cleared the UPSC Examination in 1968.
- He has served in different capacities both in India and abroad.
- On 11 July 2017, the Trinamool Congress MP Derek O’ Brien proposed Mr. Gandhi’s name for the vice-presidential race, which was thereafter unanimously accepted.
📢⚡TRENDING: List of ICC World Cup Winners (1975-2015)