Some Lesser Known Facts About Guillermo del Toro
- Does Guillermo del Toro smoke?: Not Known
- Does Guillermo del Toro drink alcohol?: Yes
- Guillermo was born into an upper-class family with strong Catholic belief.
- At the age of 8, he started experimenting with his father’s motion picture camera.
- After watching the horror film ‘The Texas Chain Saw Massacre’ (1974), he became a vegetarian for around 4 years, after which he again became a non-vegetarian.
- In the mid-1980s, he founded his own effects company called ‘Necropia.’
- As he was born in Jalisco, Mexico, where ‘Patrón’ (a brand of tequila products by the Patrón Spirits Company) started, and that’s why he once collaborated with Patrón Tequila.
- He is such a bookworm and gothic art lover that he bought an extra-house called “Bleak House” to showcase his huge collection of around 600 pieces of art and around 9,000 books.
- He considers the Oscar-winning make-up artist, Dick Smith as his mentor as he taught him the art of special effects make-up.
- He is the co-founder of the Guadalajara International Film Festival, a week-long film festival held each March in Guadalajara since 1986.
- In 2007, he was ranked #37 on Entertainment Weekly’s list of “The 50 Smartest People in Hollywood.”
- On March 4, 2017, at the 90th annual Academy Awards, he won the Best Director and Best Picture award for his romantic fantasy drama film ‘The Shape of Water’ (2017).
📢⚡TRENDING: List of ICC World Cup Winners (1975-2015)