Melinda Gates Age, Boyfriend, Husband, Family, Biography & More
|Birth name||Melinda Ann French Biography|
|Other Names||Melinda Ann Gates, Melinda French Gates Wikipedia Instagram|
|Profession(s)||Businesswoman, Philanthropist, Global Advocate for Women and Girls|
|Famous For||Being the former wife of the American business magnate Bill Gates|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 170 cm
in meters- 1.70 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 7”
|Hair Colour||Golden Brown|
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• Melinda and Bill Gates received the Award for “Greatest Public Service Benefiting the Disadvantaged,” an award given out annually by Jefferson Awards (2002)
• Melinda and Bill Gates named Persons of the Year alongside Bono by Time (2005)
• Melinda and Bill Gates received the “Spanish Prince of Asturias Award for International Cooperation” in recognition of their world impact through charitable giving (2006)
• Melinda and Bill Gates awarded the “Insignia of the Order of the Aztec Eagle” or their philanthropic work around the world in the areas of health and education (2006)
• Received an honorary doctorate in medicine from the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, Sweden (2007)
• Melinda and Bill Gates received honorary degrees from the University of Cambridge (2009)
• Awarded an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters by Duke University as a tribute for her philanthropic commitment (2013)
• Ranked #3 in Forbes 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2017 lists of the 100 Most Powerful Women
• Ranked #4 in Forbes 2012 and 2016 lists of the 100 Most Powerful Women
• Ranked #5 in 2020, and #6 in 2011, 2018, and 2019 Forbes lists of the 100 Most Powerful Women
• Awarded the UCSF medal (2013)
• Appointed an honorary Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire (2013)
• Melinda and Bill Gates jointly received India’s third-highest civilian honor, Padma Bhushan, in recognition of the ftheir philanthropic activities in India (2015)
• Melinda and Bill Gates received Presidential Medal of Freedom from Barack Obama for their philanthropic efforts (2016)
• Melinda and Bill Gates awarded France’s highest national award, the Legion of Honour, in Paris for their charity efforts by the French President François Hollande (2017)
• Ranked #12 in the list of 200 Most Influential Philanthropists and Social Entrepreneurs Worldwide by UK-based company Richtopia (2017)
• Awarded the Otto Hahn Peace Medal 2016 of the United Nations Association of Germany (DGVN), Berlin-Brandenburg (2017)
|Date of Birth||August 15, 1964 (Saturday)|
|Age (as of 2021)||57 Years|
|Birthplace||Dallas, Texas, US|
|Hometown||Dallas, Texas, US|
|School||• St. Monica Catholic School, Dallas, Texas, US
• Ursuline Academy of Dallas, Texas, US
|College/University||• Duke University, North Carolina
• Duke’s Fuqua School of Business, North Carolina
|Educational Qualification(s)||• Graduate in Computer Science
• MBA with a focus in Economics LinkedIn
|Caste||Roman Catholic The Guardian|
|Hobbies||Watching Soccer Matches|
|Relationships & More|
|Affairs/Boyfriends||Bill Gates (Business Tycoon)
|Marriage Date||Year 1994|
|Children||Son: Rory John
Daughter(s): Jennifer Katharine Gates, Phoebe Adele
|Parents||Father- Raymond Joseph French Jr. (an aerospace engineer)
Mother- Elaine Agnes Amerland (a homemaker)
|Siblings||Melinda has an elder sister and two younger brothers.
|TV Show||The Colbert Report (2005-2014)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Melinda Gates
- Melinda Gates is an American businesswoman and philanthropist. She is also a global advocate for women and girls. Melinda is the co-chair of the “Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation,” world’s largest private charitable foundation.
- She grew up in a middle-class family in Dallas.
- Melinda was a brigh student in her high school days and always topped her class.
- Although Melinda’s mother, Elaine, herself never went to a college, she was very particular about her children’s education. Her mother maintained her rental properties on the weekends to provide for her children’s school and tuition fee.
- When Melinda turned 14, her father gifted her an Apple II (an 8-bit home computer).
- While in high school, she was introduced to a math teacher named Mrs. Bauer by her father. While Melinda learnt advanced math from her teacher, she developed an interest in computer science and the BASIC programming language.
- While studying in the Duke University, Gates was a member of the Kappa Alpha Theta sorority, Beta Rho Chapter.
- During her graduation years, Melinda worked as a mathematics and computer programming teacher for a while.
- After pursuing an MBA, Melinda joined Microsoft Corporation as a product manager in 1987. As a product manager, she worked on multimedia and interactive products like Cinemania, Encarta, Publisher, Microsoft Bob, Money, Works (Macintosh), Expedia, and Word.
- She rose to the position of General Manager of Information Products in Microsoft and resigned from the same in 1996 after working nine years in the company.
- In 1996, she became a member of Duke University’s Board of Trustees. She held the position till 2003.
- In 2004, Melinda’s name was added in the Board of Directors of The Washington Post company
- She was also a Board of Director at Drugstore.com, but gave up the position in August 2006 to focus on philanthropy.
- Melinda, along with her husband, Bill founded the charitable organization Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in 2000 in Seattle with an aim improve public health, education, and climate change.
- For efficient working of her organization, in 2006, Melinda divided the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation into three major departments: worldwide health, global development, and U.S. community and education.
- Since its incorporation in 2000, Bill & Melinda Foundation has worked to develop prevention strategies, provide vaccines and treatments for diseases such as HIV/AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis.
- In 2011, Melinda restated the mission of her foundation as “improving equity in four areas: global health, education, access to digital information via public libraries, and support for at-risk families in Washington State and Oregon.”
- In 2012, Melinda granted $560 million to improve the access to contraception for women in poor countries.
- She has worked hard to bring a change in the state of education in the United States. Her foundation also launched a Gates Millennium Scholars program through which it became easier for students to fund their studies.
- In the past two decades, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation has spent around $50 billion to combat poverty and diseases. Not only in the US, the foundation also works to improve the conditions of poor living in countries like India, South Africa, Nigeria, Kenya.
- Her foundation is one of the largest private philanthropic foundation in the United States and the world with its net assets worth $43.3 billion (according to the 2019 full-year financials shown on its website).
- Melinda has also founded a separate foundation named Pivotal Ventures whose aim is to identify, develop, and implement innovative solutions to problems affecting US women and families. The foundation was established in 2015.
- In 2019, Gates launched her book “The Moment of Lift: How Empowering Women Changes the World.” The book is based on the link between women’s empowerment and the health of societies.
- Melinda has been a sports fanatic since childhood. She used to play soccer in her high school and college days. Even today, she enjoys watching the game whenever she is free.
- Melinda had a conversation with Bill for the first time during a trade fair in New York. The couple started dating each other and got into a wedlock in 1994 in a private ceremony on the Hawaiian island of Lanai.
- Talking about his relationship with Melinda in a Netflix documentary, Bill Gates said,
We cared a lot for each other and there were only two possibilities: either, we were going to break up or we were going to get married.”
- Recollecting how Bill made a list of the pros and cons of marrying her, Melinda said in an interview,
Methodical it seems even in matters of the heart – writing a list on a whiteboard with the pros and the cons of getting married.”
- Reportedly, the pair hired all the local helicopters on their wedding day to stop unnecessary traffic flying over their wedding venue.
- It was during their vacation to Africa in 1993 that the duo decided to establish an organization for philanthropy work. The organization came to be known as the “Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.”
- Melinda is influenced by the work of the Pakistani activist Malala Yousafzai.
- She is also a public speaker. In 2014, Melinda, along with Bill, appeared at Vancouver’s first TED conference to talk about their “Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.”
- In May 2014, Gates was one of the participants of the talk on saving newborn lives at the World Health Assembly in Geneva.
- In April 2015, She met the Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and extended her support to improve sanitation and bring nutrition solutions for India’s most vulnerable.
- In May 2021, the couple announced their divorce through identical tweets. Their tweets read,
After a great deal of thought and a lot of work on our relationship, we have made the decision to end our marriage. Over the last 27 years, we have raised three incredible children and built a foundation that works all over the world to enable all people to lead healthy, productive lives. We continue to share a belief in that mission and will continue our work together at the foundation, but we no longer believe we can grow together as a couple in the next phase of our lives. We ask for space and privacy for our family as we begin to navigate this new life.”
- After the news of their divorce came, Bill Gates relationship with his ex-girlfriend, Ann Winblad made the headlines on the internet. During one of his interviews, Bill Gates said that he continued his annual vacations with his ex-girlfriend, software entrepreneur and venture capitalist Ann Winblad, even after marrying Melinda.