|Profession(s)||Politician and Teacher|
|Political Party||Bharatiya Janata Party (1991-present)
|Political Journey||• Served as the councillor of Chandausi (1989-1990)
• Joined the BJP in 1991.
• Contested and won 1991, 1996, 2002, 2017, and 2022 UP Legislative Assembly from the Chandausi constituency on BJP's ticket
• Appointed Minister of State of Women's Welfare, Child Development, and Nutrition in 1997
• Contested and lost the 2007 and 2012 UP Legislative Assembly from the Chandausi constituency on BJP's ticket
• Appointed Minister of State of Social Welfare, Scheduled Castes, and Scheduled Tribes in 2017
• Appointed Minister of State (Independent Charge) of Secondary Education in 2022
|Date of Birth||1 June 1955 (Wednesday)|
|Age (as of 2022)||67 Years|
|Birthplace||Chandausi, Uttar Pradesh, India|
|Hometown||Chandausi, Uttar Pradesh|
|School||BMG Inter College, Chandausi, Uttar Pradesh|
|College/University||• Agra University (now Dr. Bhimrao Ambedkar University)
• S. M. College, Chandausi, Uttar Pradesh
• Mahatma Jyotiba Phule Rohilkhand University, Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh
|Educational Qualification(s)||• B.Ed from Agra University (1974)
• MA from S. M. College (1976) MyNeta
|Religion/Religious Views||Hinduism UP Vidhan Sabha|
|Caste||Scheduled Caste (Dhobi) UP Legislative Assembly|
|Controversy||Altercation with a journalist: On 13 March 2023, during a government-organized function at Chandausi, a journalist named Sanjay Rana asked Gulab Devi several questions regarding the fulfilment of promises made by Gulab Devi in her 2022 elections campaigns. Gulab Devi, infuriated by the questions, told the journalist that she knew he wanted to create a ruckus in the program. She further told the journalist that he should have asked the questions in an appropriate environment. Aaj Tak She said,
"I was recognizing your eyes for a long time. Even when you were standing there, I recognized your eyes... All these things are right at your own place which you have said but the time has not come yet. But you forgot that this Kundanpur village and Budh Nagar Khandwa are also mine. All these things that I have said will work."
Later, an FIR was lodged against Sanjay Rana by Shubham Raghav, the district general secretary of BJP Yuva Morcha, for disrupting the programme. However, Sanjay was later granted bail. While addressing the media later, she claimed that she had no knowledge of the journalist's arrest. She said that apparently, Sanjay not only disrupted the programme but also slapped a BJP worker.. She refused to have any knowledge about the journalist's arrest. Aaj Tak
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||6 November 1988|
|Husband/Spouse||Rampal Singh (a retired sugar mill worker, politician)
• Sakshi Singh (UP state BJP spokesperson)
• Sugandha Singh (politician)
• Chetna Singh (assistant professor at Delhi University)
|Parents||Father- Babu Ram (deceased; washerman)
Mother- Savitri Devi (homemaker)
|Salary (approx.)||The salary of an MLA in UP in 2022 was Rs. 95,000 + other allowances. ABP|
• Cash: Rs. 1,00,000
• Bank Deposits: Rs. 42,51,684
• Bonds, Debentures, and Shares in companies: Rs. 25,00,000
• Jewellery: Rs. 2,15,000
• Agricultural Land: Rs. 35,00,000
• Residential Buildings: Rs. 35,00,000
Note: The given estimates of movable and immovable assets are according to the year 2022. It excludes the assets owned by her husband. MyNeta
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 1,40,66,684
Note: The net worth is according to the year 2022. It excludes the net worth of her husband. MyNeta
Some Lesser Known facts About Gulab Devi
- Gulab Devi is an Indian politician, teacher, and member of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). She was elected as the MLA from Chandausi in Uttar Pradesh five times, in 1991, 1996, 2002, 2017, and 2022. She made headlines in 2023 when a YouTube journalist was arrested for questioning her on unfulfilled promises at an event organised by the UP government in the Sambhal district.
- While studying at S. M. College in Chandausi, she joined the student wing of the RSS, Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP).
- After completing her formal education, she began working as a teacher at Bhartiya M Girls Inter College in Chandausi, where she taught political science. Later, she became the principal of Inter College. In an interview, Gulab Devi said that she became a teacher to financially support her family as she belonged to a poor family.
- She joined the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) while teaching at the inter-college in Chandausi and began working as an RSS Pracharak in Uttar Pradesh.
- Gulab Devi became a member of the Estimates Committee in 1997.
- In the same year, she assumed the charge of Women’s Welfare, Child Development, and Nutrition ministry and served till 2002.
- From 2002 to 2003, she served as a member of the Joint Committee on Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes, and Denotified Castes.
- In 2008, she was appointed BJP UP’s vice president, a post that she held till 2012.
- In the same year, Gulab Devi was appointed as the Minister of the State of Social Welfare, Scheduled Castes, and Scheduled Tribes.
- After Gulab Devi was given a ticket to contest the 2022 assembly polls in UP, around 200 BJP workers tendered their resignation as they were against the decision of the party to give her a ticket. According to a BJP leader, the workers resigned as they wanted the party to give a ticket to another candidate to contest the elections from the Chandausi constituency. Talking about it, in an interview, he said,
Those who have resigned are angry over the party ticket being given to Gulab Devi for the assembly elections. They were demanding a ticket for someone else, and we have also informed the party high command about this. Around 200 booth adhyaksh, 15 sector in-charges and a large number of party workers have tendered their resignation.”
- While giving an interview, Gulab Devi said that despite her becoming an MLA, her father refused to give up working as a washerman.
- Gulab Devi is an avid dog lover, and she has a pet Labrador.