Hometown: Hamirpur, Himachal Pradesh
Age: 44 Years
Some Lesser Known Facts About Anurag Thakur
- Anurag Thakur is an Indian politician from the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). He is a 4-time MP from the Hamirpur Constituency of Himachal Pradesh. His father was the former Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh. Anurag Thakur is known for being the President of the BCCI.
- He is a cricket player and was the President of the Himachal Pradesh Cricket Association (HPCA). He played from the Himachal Pradesh side in the Ranji Trophy in November 2000.
- He had appointed himself as the chairman of the selectors of the HPCA Ranji trophy cricket team.
- Anurag Thakur assisted in the creation of the International Level Cricket Stadium at Dharamshala, Himachal Pradesh.
- He got married to Shefali Thakur on 27 November 2002. Shefali is the daughter of the former Minister of Public Works Department of Himachal Pradesh and the former Speaker of the Himachal Pradesh Legislative Assembly, Gulab Singh Thakur.
- On 17 December 2013, he launched the Honour Our Women (HOW) Foundation; an initiative for creating social awareness about women’s issues, safety, and empowerment through seminars, street plays by involving civil society stakeholders, celebrities, journalists, and parliamentarians.
- On 26 May 2016, he was appointed as the President of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI). His tenure did not last long; as he was sacked by the Supreme Court, and had to step down from his post.
- In July 2016, Anurag Thakur became the first serving Member of Parliament to become a regular commissioned Officer in the Territorial Army.