|Real Name||Indira Priyadarshini Gandhi|
|Profession||Former Indian Politician|
|Political Party||Indian National Congress|
|Political Journey||• She served her father unofficially as a personal assistant during his tenure as the first Prime Minister of India in the 1950s.|
• In the late 1950s, she served as the President of Indian National Congress.
• She was appointed as a member of the Rajya Sabha in 1964 and became a member of Lal Bahadur Shastri's cabinet as Minister of Information and Broadcasting.
• After the death of Lal Bahadur Shastri in 1966, she was named the party leader over Morarji Desai.
• She served as the Prime Minister of India from January 1966 to March 1977.
• Gandhi again became the Prime Minister of India in 1980 and served until October 1984 before she was assassinated by two of her security guards.
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 163 cm|
in meters- 1.63 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 4”
|Weight (approx.)||in Kilograms- 62 kg|
in Pounds- 137 lbs
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper|
|Date of Birth||19 November 1917|
|Place of Birth||Allahabad, United Provinces, British India|
|Date of Death||31 October 1984|
|Place of Death||1 Safdarjung Road, New Delhi|
|Cause of Death||Assassination|
|Age (as on 31 October 1984)||66 Years|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Scorpio|
|Hometown||Allahabad, United Provinces, British India|
|School||Modern School, Delhi|
St. Cecilia's Public School, Delhi
St Mary's Christian Convent School, Allahabad
International School of Geneva
École nouvelle de la Suisse romande, Lausanne, Switzerland
Pupils' Own School in Poona and Bombay
|College/ University||Visva-Bharati University (dropout)|
Somerville College, Oxford (dropout)
Badminton School, Bristol, England
|Educational Qualifications||College dropout|
|Debut||She made it to the politics in 1950s as a personal assistant to her father, Late Jawaharlal Nehru, while he served as the Prime Minister of India post independence.|
|Family||Father- Jawaharlal Nehru (Former Indian Politician & First PM of India)|
Mother- Kamala Nehru (Freedom Fighter)
|Major Controversies||• In June 1975, Justice Jagmohanlal Sinha of Allahabad High Court found her guilty of election corruption for her election campaign. The court debarred her from her Lok Sabha seat and declared the election as null and void and banned her from contesting elections for next 6 years. Charges included bribing voters, misusing the government's machinery for her election campaign, using the electricity from state electricity department. She, however, challenged the High Court's decision in the Supreme Court but the decision was upheld by the justice V. R. Krishna Iyer and he ordered that all the privileges she received as an MP be stopped and that she be debarred from voting. The fact that she was allowed to lead the country as a Prime Minister lead to the Emergency period in the country which lasted for about 21 months. She invoked article 352 and granted herself extraordinary powers and launched a massive crackdown on civil liberties and political opposition to control the ever growing population of India, she provoked forced sterilisations during the emergency. Some say that her son Sanjay Gandhi's mind was behind this tragic step.|
• In 1984, began a military operation, Operation Blue Star. It was ordered by the then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi in order to remove the Sikh militants who were accumulating arms in the Harmandir Sahib Complex/ Golden Temple, Amritsar. Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale, the leader of Damdami Taksal was the key person in the initiation of the operation. A number of military divisions were deployed in Punjab to tackle the situation and get control of the place. This resulted in a number of innocent lives and heavy damage to the Golden Temple. She was later assassinated by her Sikh bodyguards for the same.
|Boys, Affairs and More|
|Marital Status||Widow at the time of death|
|Husband||Feroze Gandhi (Former Indian Politician & Journalist)|
|Children||Son- Rajiv Gandhi (Former Indian Politician)|
Sanjay Gandhi (Former Indian Politician)