Education: Diploma In Business Management
Mother: Padma Devi Peiris
Age: 65 Years
|Profession||First lady of Sri Lanka (2019-2022)|
|Famous For||Being the wife of Gotabaya Rajapaksa, the 8th President of Sri Lanka|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Hair Colour||Salt and Pepper|
|Date of Birth||November 1957|
|Age (as of 2022)||65 Years|
|Nationality||• Sri Lankan (1957-2003)
• Sri Lankan American (2003-present)
|College/University||National Institute of Business Management|
|Educational Qualification||Diploma in Business Management|
|Address||303 S Cataract Ave, San Dimas, CA 91773, United States of America|
|Controversy||Escaping from Sri Lanka: In July 2022, amidst the Sri Lankan crisis, both Ioma and Gotabaya Rajapaksa fled Sri Lanka due to the violent protests that had erupted there. After staying in places like the Maldives, Singapore, and Thailand, the couple returned to Sri Lanka on 3 September 2022. BBC News|
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||Year, 1980|
|Husband/Spouse||Gotabaya Rajapaksa (retired Sri Lankan Army officer, former President of Sri Lanka)
|Children||Son- Manoj Rajapaksa (engineer)
|Parents||Father- Not known
Mother- Padma Devi Peiris
|Car Collection||Ioma Rajapaksa had a huge collection of luxurious cars. When the mob stormed her residence, they found more than 50 imported cars parked in the parking lot. Kanak News|
|Net Worth (approx.)||Several media outlets claimed that her net worth is around $10 million|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Ioma Rajapaksa
- Ioma Rajapaksa is the wife of the former President of Sri Lanka, Gotabaya Rajapaksa. She is also the former first lady of Sri Lanka. In July 2022, Gotabaya Rajapaksa and Ioma Rajapaksa made headlines after they absconded from Sri Lanka during the economic crisis in the country.
- According to many sources, Ioma, along with her husband Gotabaya Rajapaksa, escaped from Sri Lanka with the help of the Sri Lankan Air Force (SLAF). Many sources claimed that on 13 July 2022, the couple fled to the Maldives from Sri Lanka in the SLAF’s Antonov An-32 aircraft.
- On 14 July 2022, the couple left the Maldives and went to Singapore, and on the same day, after her husband resigned from the Presidentship, the couple went to Thailand.
- On 3 September 2022, after Ioma returned to Sri Lanka with Gotabaya, some media sources claimed that the couple returned to Sri Lanka because they were permitted to stay in Thailand for 90 days only, while some claimed that the total cost of living in Thailand with 24/7 VVIP security was costing them a lot of money and had become unsustainable for them. DailyO The Week
- While living in the United States of America (USA), Ioma Rajapaksa used to work as a medical coder.
- As the first lady of Sri Lanka, Ioma Rajapaksa was appointed as the chairman of the Seva Vanitha Unit by the Sri Lankan Ministry of Defence (MoD).
- When the angry protestors ransacked the Presidential Palace in Sri Lanka, they found cash worth Rs 17.85 million or $50,000 that belonged to the couple. The protestors handed over the cash to the Sri Lankan police. The New Indian Express The Hindu The Sri Lankan police’s spokesperson, during a press conference, said,
The cash was taken over by the police and will be produced in court today. The cash found was in mint condition and it mostly contained the new bank notes.”