|Other Name||Ram Raj|
|Profession||Politician and Former IRS Officer.|
|Service||Indian Revenue Services (IRS)|
|Major Designation(s)||1990: Assistant Commissioner of Income Tax, Ghaziabad
1995-2003: Deputy Commissioner, Joint Commissioner and Additional Commissioner of Income Tax, Delhi
|Political Party||• Indian Justice Party: Founder, November 2003-February 2014
• Bharatiya Janata Party: February 2014-April 2019
• Congress Party: Joined in April 2019
|Political Journey||November 2003: Resigned from the post of Additional Commissioner of Income Tax at New Delhi to form his own party, Indian Justice Party
February 2014: Dissolved his own party, Indian Justice Party, and joined Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
• Member, Consultative Committee, Ministry of Finance and Corporate Affairs
• Member, Rules Committee Member, Standing Committee on Social Justice and Empowerment
• Fought the 2014 Lok Sabha Elections on the BJP's ticket against Rakhi Birla of AAP and won from North West Delhi Constituency and became an MP.
2015: Member, Joint Committee on the Right to Fair Compensation and Transparency in Land Acquisition, Rehabilitation and Resettlement (Second Amendment) Bill, 2015
April 2019: Joined Congress party after BJP denied him the ticket and gave the ticket to the Punjabi Folk Singer, Hans Raj Hans.
|Achievements||Second most favoured MP in Parliament
|Date of Birth||26 January 1961|
|Age (as in 2019)||58 Years|
|Birthplace||Ramnagar, Allahabad district, Uttar Pradesh, India|
|Hometown||Ramnagar, Allahabad district, Uttar Pradesh, India|
|School||High School: Lala Ramlal Aggarwal Inter College, Sirsa, Allahabad
Intermediate: Lala Ramlal Aggarwal Inter College, Sirsa, Allahabad
|University||• Allahabad University
• Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi
|Educational Qualification||According to his official Facebook Page:
• BA (Allahabad University)
• MA (JNU)
According to his 2014 election affidavit:
• BA: Meerut University
• MA: Osmania University
• LLB: M.M.H College, Ghaziabad
• Honorary PhD: Bible College and Seminary, Kota, Rajasthan
|Religion||Converted from Hinduism to Buddhism in 2001|
|Caste||Khatik (Scheduled Caste)|
|Address||T-22, Atul Grove Road, Connaught Place, New Delhi-110001|
|Controversies||• From the time he formed his own party in 2003, he criticized BJP and Congress for corruption and anti-Dalit and, anti-national policies, But contrary to his earlier statements, he joined BJP in 2014 and dissolved his own party, Indian Justice Party. He fought the 2014 Lok Sabha Elections on BJP ticket from North West Delhi Constituency and won.
• He, however, left the BJP and joined Congress party in April 2019 when the former refused to give him the ticket and fielded Punjabi Folk Singer, Hans Raj Hans in his place from North West Delhi Constituency.
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||Year 1990|
|Wife||Seema Raj (Commissioner of Income Tax)
|Parents||Father- Kallan Singh (Ex-Army Man)
Mother- Sukh Dei
|Siblings||Brother(s)- Kalicharan (Younger, ex-MLA), and one more
Sister(s)- 2 (Younger, Names not known)
|Assets (as in 2014)||Movable:
• Bonds, Debentures and Shares in companies: Worth 93,396 INR
• Advances Given: Worth 61,20,000 INR
• Ancestral Land: Worth 2 Lakhs INR
• A petrol pump of BPCL at Sukhpal Nagar, Pratapgarh, Uttar Pradesh: 1.86 Crores
|Salary||12,22,980 INR (2012-13)|
|Net Worth (approx.)||4.5 Crores INR (as in 2014)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Udit Raj
- Udit Raj is an Indian Politician and MP of Lok Sabha, representing the North West Delhi (Lok Sabha constituency) as a member of Bharatiya Janata Party.
- Raj is also the National Chairman of the All India Confederation of SC/ST Organizations. He is a social activist and works for the upliftment of the marginalised communities in India.
- From his childhood, he has been a very honest and no-nonsense type of person. He was average in academics but was known for his honesty and inquisitive mind.
- He used to intervene in other’s disputes and stood with those students who were weak and subject to bully and discrimination. Due to his behaviour, his parents used to say that he loved to invite quarrels and ruckus. Khatik Samaj
- After he completed his intermediate studies, he got himself enrolled in Allahabad University but couldn’t continue as he got involved in labourers and cultivator cause.
- Later on his father’s advice, he got admission in Jawahar Lal Nehru University, New Delhi in 1980 in five years integrated course in German studies but here also he got involved in social causes and entered the active politics via Student Federation of India.
- However, due to financial constraints, he was forced to divert his attention away from social activities and focus on his career. He decided to prepare for the civil services examination.
- In Delhi, he had no place where he could stay and prepare for the UPSC examination.
- He used to spend the day at the JNU Library and night at his friend’s place only to again to get up early and rush to the library.
- He used to take tuitions for his subsistence and to meet the expenses of living in Delhi.
- After his studies, he cleared the UPSC examination and got selected into Indian Revenue Services (IRS) in 1988.
- His first posting was at Ghaziabad as Assistant Commissioner of Income Tax in the year 1990. He was transferred to Delhi in 1995 where he served as Deputy Commissioner, Joint Commissioner and Additional Commissioner of Income Tax till 2003 when he resigned.
- He rose to high ranks among other Dalit Leaders when on his call hundreds of thousands of supporters and activists supporting reservation gathered in Ram Lila Maidan New Delhi to protest against five anti-reservation orders that were issued by the then government, leading to a tumultuous situation in the country.
- National Leaders like V. P. Singh, Harkishan Singh Surjit, Chandrajit Yadav, Buta Singh participated and upon seeing the size of the rally, predicted Udit Raj as future Prime Minister.
- He converted to Buddhism in 2001 and changed his name to Udit Raj from Ram Raj.
- He resigned from the post of Additional Commissioner of Income Tax in 2003 when he formed his own party, Indian Justice Party. However, he joined BJP in February 2014 and defeated AAP candidate Rakhi Birla in 2014 Lok Sabha Elections. Economic Times
- He joined Congress in the presence of Rahul Gandhi. He joined Congress because he was denied ticket by BJP from the North West Delhi Constituency for the 2019 Lok Sabha Elections.
- Before joining Congress he dropped the word “Chowkidar” from his official Twitter and Facebook handle.
- His wife Seema Raj is serving as the Principal Commissioner of Income Tax and has 5 districts under her i.e. Agra, Firozabad, Itawa and Jhansi. Udit Raj met Seema Raj during training at National Academy of Direct Taxes, Nagpur. They both fell in love during their training period because they both shared similar ideologies on casteism and it’s eradication. They got married on 24th March 1990 in Delhi.
📢⚡TRENDING: List of IPL Winners (2008-2018)
References/Sources: [ + ]