Some Lesser Known Facts About Jeremy Corbyn
- Does Jeremy Corbyn smoke?: Not Known
- Does Jeremy Corbyn drink alcohol?: Yes
- He was born in Chippenham and brought up in Wiltshire.
- Corbyn’s parents were peace campaigners who met in the year 1930 during the Spanish Civil War.
- When he was 7 years old, the Corbyn family moved to Pave Lane in Shropshire, where his father, David Benjamin Corbyn, bought “Yew Tree Manor” (later renamed as Yew Tree Guesthouse) and converted it into a family home.
- Before leaving school at the age of 18, Corbyn achieved 2 E-grade A-Levels.
- In 1966, he joined the Campaign for “Nuclear Disarmament (CND)” & later became one of its 3 vice-chairs.
- After school, he worked for a while as a reporter for the “Newport and Market Drayton Advertiser” (a local newspaper).
- Corbyn also spent 2 years doing Voluntary Service Overseas in Jamaica.
- In 1971, he returned to the UK from Jamaica and started working as an official for the National Union of Tailors and Garment Workers.
- He pursued a course in “Trade Union Studies” at “North London Polytechnic.” However, he left without a degree with a series of arguments with his teachers over the curriculum.
- Corbyn also worked as a Trade Union Organiser for the “National Union of Public Employees and Amalgamated Engineering and the Electrical Union.”
- At the age of 24, Corbyn was elected to Haringey Council in South Hornsey ward.
- He became an Agent of local Labour Party and took responsibility for the 1979 general election campaign in Hornsey.
- In 1981, Corbyn worked on Tony Benn’s unsuccessful deputy leadership campaign.
- Corbyn is considered a veteran left-wing MP in the UK.
- He is a pure vegetarian.
- He is strongly opposed to academy schools, privatisation and the increase in tuition fees.
- He is considered the most rebellious Labour MP who has defied the whip 428 times while Labour was in power.
📢⚡TRENDING: List of IPL Winners (2008-2018)