|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 167 cm
in meters- 1.67 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 5”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 55 kg
in pounds- 121 lbs
|Body Measurements (approx.)||32-28-34|
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper|
|Awards||Best Actress in Napa Valley Film Festival (2013) for the role in Hank and Asha|
|School||Modern High School for Girls, La Martiniere for Girls, Kolkata|
|College/University||• Graduate of The Juilliard School Drama Division in New York City
• Jadavpur University, Kolkata
|Educational Qualification(s)||• Degree in English Literature from Jadavpur University, Kolkata Indian Express
• Graduate of The Juilliard School Drama Division in New York City IMDb
|Tattoo||On both arms
|Relationships & More|
|Husband/Spouse|| John Paul Davis "Author"
|Parents||Father- Name- Not Known
Mother- Mira Kakkar
Some Lesser Known Facts About Mahira Kakkar
- Mahira Kakkar is a New York-based actress who was born in Calcutta, India. She migrated early to the United States with her family. The name ‘Mahira’ was given by her grandfather, which is derived from an Urdu word Mahir meaning “talented.” During her childhood, she dreamt of becoming a ballet dancer, a rock star, or an actor.
- Mahira first felt the attraction towards the stage when she was 10. She watched the Bolshoi and Kirov ballets in Kolkata and desperately wanted to be a dancer. Her parents took her to every concert in the city even if it was a boring one.
- She won many prizes in elocution contests in school. Along with this, she is trained in Bharatanatyam dance and Indian classical music.
- Mahira is a gold medalist in English Literature from Jadavpur University. According to Mahira, this institution encourages its students to stretch their imagination beyond books. Later, Mahira attended The Juilliard School Drama Division in New York City where she worked very hard to be a part of the department’s theatrical production, and she boldly addressed the head of the department of Juilliard’s Drama Division where she said,
You have to take me in. You haven’t seen anything like me yet.”
Later, she graduated from The Juilliard School Drama Division in New York City and was trained in acting by Harold Guksin. She is also known to be the first person of Indian origin to address The Juilliard School Drama Division.
- Later, she went on to become part of regional theatres and television throughout her acting career. She played the role of Mrs Rupa Mehra in Netflix’s “A Suitable Boy” (2020).
- While she was attending The Juilliard School Drama Division in New York City, Americans found her name difficult to pronounce, so Gillian Jacobs, an American actress, gave her a nickname “Mah,” which was easier to pronounce than her real name.
- Having a keen interest in theatres, in January 2013, Mahira worked in the play “Clive” at The New Group, the play was directed by Ethan Hawke who also acted in the play along with other actors including Vincent D’Onofrio and Zoe Kazan. She has also performed in many shows worldwide.
- It wasn’t easy for Mahira to carve a niche for herself in the field of acting, and she became a victim of racism in America while pursuing her acting career. In an interview, while talking about this, she said,
Sometimes, it’s hard to be just the brown girl and not the supermodel brown girl, but nobody said life would be easy. If I get obsessed with ethnic bias issues, where’s the energy to do my work?”
She never let such problems overpower her interest in acting. She did her work with utter dedication and kept going on. She has an observative and detailed style of acting, to which she said,
When I am working on a play, everything I do, becomes about the play.”
- Once, she played the role of Marry in a play, and to get herself prepared for the role, she rushed through plenty of books based on motherhood, parenting, and on war survivors, and she locked herself up in a room where she asked herself,
What would be a cause big enough for me to sacrifice the person I value the most?”
- She has also played some strong women characters in various plays like Viola in Twelfth Night, Emily Webb in Our Town, Juliet in Romeo and Juliet, and Irina in Three Sisters.
- She has a standard American and British dialect. She is well versed with many languages such as French, Afghani, German, Cockney, Pakistani, and is fluent in Hindi and Bengali.
- She is a dog lover, and she has a huge passion for reading books. She also loves to explore new places by walking around. She believes it is one of the best ways to know a place well, and she finds it exciting & relaxing.
- She is married to John Paul Davis who is a poet, musician, and programmer by profession. He is the author of the book Crown Prince Of Rabbits. They live in New York.
- She has more attraction towards wit, humour, young adult fiction, and language-driven pieces.
- Mahira also joined DSA that stands for (Democratic Socialists of America). It is a non-business entity whose members’ ideological views range from social democracy to democratic socialism and include various perspective.’
- According to Mahira,
An actor’s life is filled with insecurity. An actor is auditioned on daily basis and can even get rejected daily. If one can not live with this uncertainty then he must walk away and if one can do it then the sky is the limit. One shall move forward, improve his skills and set his own bar.”
- She feels proud to call both India and America her home.