Wife: Sheeba Masoodi
Marital Status: Married
|Full Name||Mirwaiz Mohammad Umar Farooq|
|Other Name||Umar Farooq|
|Profession||Kashmiri Separatist Leader and Religious Cleric|
|Known For||A Kashmiri separatist leader|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Political Party||Aawami Action Committee, a part of All Parties Hurriyat Conference|
|Political Journey||• After the assassination of his father Mirwaiz Maulvi Farooq on 21 May 1990, he took over the reins of "Aawami Action Committee".
• On 9 March 1993, he combined all the 26 political, social and religious organizations under one umbrella named "All Parties Hurriyat Conference".
|Date of Birth||23 March 1973|
|Age (as in 2019)||46 Years|
|School||Burn Hall School|
|Educational Qualification||Postgraduate degree in Islamic Studies called ‘Moulvi Fazil’, and a PhD on the topic "Politico-Islamic role of Shah-e-Hamdan".|
|Controversies||• In April 2009 he became the centre of controversy when his wife, Sheeba Masoodi, was granted citizenship of J&K against the prevailing laws of the land.
• In February 2019, a 40 feet high commercial antenna with equipment for Internet-based calling was seized from his house, along with that a Pakistani hotline that was also seized from his house. The Economic Times
• On several occasions, he has been dubbed as a Pakistani Spy and NIA has also framed charges against him in terror funding case.
• It has been substantiated beyond doubt that the ISI of Pakistan is involved in providing him with funds that have been used to spread unrest in J&K. DECCAN HERALD
• On 8 April 2019, he appeared before NIA for interrogation in terror funding case in which he is suspected of being the prime accused. The Quint
• He has been placed under house arrest on several occasions, like his father's death anniversary, Afzal Guru's hanging eve, Prime Minister's visit to J&K or J&K's October 2017 civil polls, on the pretext that he may incite the public of J&K for protests that may disrupt the peace.
|Relationships & More|
|Children||Son- 1 (born on 11 February 2017)
|Parents||Father- Late Mirwaiz Maulvi Farooq
Mother- Name Not Known
Sister- Rabia Farooq
Some Lesser Known Facts About Mirwaiz Umar Farooq
- Mirwaiz Mohammad Umar Farooq is the 14th Mirwaiz of Kashmir and a moderate Kashmiri separatist leader.
- He is the chairman of the Awami Action Committee which is one of two key factions of the All Parties Hurriyat Conference.
- As the Mirwaiz of the Kashmir and chairman of the Hurriyat Conference, he has an important religious and political role. He is the spiritual leader of the Muslims of Kashmir and is the Head Priest of Jama Masjid, Srinagar.
- His father Mirwaiz-e-Kashmir Moulana Moulvi Muhammad Farooq Shah was the 13th Mirwaiz of Kashmir. He was assassinated by unknown gunmen on 21 May 1990. Hizbul Mujahideen militant Mohammad Ayub Dar was convicted for the murder and Supreme Court of India upheld the conviction in 2010.
- Umar Farooq at that time was 17 years old and he was handed over the charge of the Awami Action Committee and was made the 14th Mirwaiz of Kashmir.
- After his father’s death, Umar Farooq united all the 23 Kashmiri pro-freedom organizations into the All Parties Hurriyat Conference (APHC). In 1993, he became the uncontested chairman of the Hurriyat Conference, an amalgam 23 of pro-resistance political parties. Kashmir Reader
- In an interview, he said that as a teenager the work of his father didn’t appeal to him and that he was interested in becoming a computer engineer. But after the assassination of his father, he had to join politics and that now he does not regret his decision of joining resistance politics. Kashmir Reader
- In October 2014, he was listed as one The 500 Most Influential Muslims by the Royal Islamic Strategic Studies Centre, Jordan. The report is issued annually in cooperation with Prince Al-Waleed Bin Talal Center for Muslim-Christian Understanding at Georgetown University in the United States. He was also listed among the world’s Top 10 influential Muslim Politicians. The Hindu
- He has been on several occasions targeted for his riches and properties he has in India and abroad. He has 2 residential buildings of 5058 sq. m each in Kashmir, 2 story office cum residence, 1011 sq. m of land in Kashmir, 20 shops in the Lal Bazaar, Shopping complex in Rajouri Kadal (Srinagar), 2 three-story buildings and 2 story bank buildings in Kashmir. Apart from that he has multiple properties in Delhi and has invested crores of rupees in Dubai.
References/Sources: [ + ]
|1.||↑||The Economic Times|
|4, 5.||↑||Kashmir Reader|