Some lesser known facts about Mohammad Azharuddin
- Does Mohammad Azharuddin smoke?: No
- Does Mohammad Azharuddin drink alcohol?: Not Known
- Azhar, MS Dhoni and Sourav Ganguly are counted among the best Indian captains with the best winning %age.
- Eden Gardens in Kolkata was his hunting ground as here he scored his debut Test century, scored a total of 860 runs at an excellent average of 107.5 with 5 centuries and 2 half-centuries.
- His grandfather Mr. Vajehuddin once predicted that Azhar will captain Indian cricket team one day, and he later did that.
- He captained Indian cricket team in 3 ICC World Cups (1992, 1996 and 1999).
- He is among the very few batsman to hit a hundred in his first and last Test match.
- He won the prestigious Arjuna Award in 1986.
- He also won Wisden Cricketer of the Year Award in 1991.
- He joined politics in 2009 General Elections for the Congress Party and was elected from Moradabad, Uttar Pradesh.
- A biopic film on him called Azhar released in 2016, where his character was portrayed by actor Emraan Hashmi.
- A book was authored by Harsha Bhogle called Azhar, which was based on his life.
- In 2011, his son Ayazuddin died in a road accident at the age of 19.
📢⚡TRENDING: List of ICC World Cup Winners (1975-2015)