|Full name||Naeemuddin Khan Global Indian|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 168 cm
in meters- 1.68 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 6”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 70 kg
in pounds- 154 lbs
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||2021 : FGI Dallas honoured Naeem Khan with the Lifetime Achievement Award|
|Date of Birth||May 21, 1958 (Wednesday)|
|Age (as of 2021)||63 Years|
|Birthplace||Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh|
|School||Cumbala Hill High School|
|Religion/Religious Views||Muslim Femina|
|Food Habit||Non-Vegetarian Bazaar|
|Hobbies||Travelling and cooking|
|Relationships & More|
|Wife/Spouse||Ranjana Khan ( Indian Model and Jewellery designer)
|Children||Son- Shariq Khan and Zaheen Khan
|Parents||Father- Sharfuddin Khan (business of fabrics and hand embroidery)
Mother- Razia Baig
|Car Collection||• Mercedes SLS
• Mercedes G-Wagon
|Assets/Properties||• A penthouse showroom in New York
• A white penthouse in Miami India Today
Some Lesser Known Facts About Naeem Khan
- Naeemuddin Khan, often called Naeem Khan, is an Indian – American fashion designer who had designed outfits for the most prominent figures like Beyonce, Jennifer Lopez, Taylor Swift, Michelle Obama, Queen Noor of Jordan, Catherine (Duchess of Cambridge), Padma Lakshmi, and many more.
- He was born and brought up in a family of artists. His grandfather and father owned a shop of lehengas and sarees in Colaba, where they designed dresses for royal families. The New Indian Express Naeem said in an interview,
I came from a very humble and stable home and my parents have been in the business of fabrics and hand embroidery for decades.”
- Out of five younger siblings, Naeem was the only one who was interested in fashion designing. He said in an interview,
I remember looking at magazines as a five-year-old kid and deciding what looked nice and what didn’t.”
- Khan’s father once shared in an interview that he had to travel a lot because of his family business. He couldn’t even see his first child Naeem for two months after his birth.
- Naeem’s father wanted to expand his business abroad. So, after completing schooling, when Naeem was just 19, he accompanied his father to New York looking for educational opportunities and international clients for his family business.
- After meeting Roy Halston in New York, Naeem dropped the plan of taking admission to FIT and did three years of training under Halston. There he learnt to design American couture.
- At the age of 19, Naeem got his first project under Halston.
- In Naeem’s opinion, fashion is not all about designing, it is about socialising as well. He shared in an interview,
It is not enough to be a good designer. I used to work till 2 or 3 in the morning. Not just designing, but socialising. Every day after work, I would hit the world-famous disco, Studio 54, and mingle with stars like Elizabeth Taylor.”
- In 1981, when Naeem was 23, he married an Indian model Ranjana Khan. He calls his first interaction with Ranjana as Love at first sight. The Times of India Sharing his love story, he said in an interview,
She grew up to be a famous model in India. I remember seeing her face on billboards and hoping to meet her someday. That day came after I moved to New York. It was love at first sight. A year later, we were married.”
- Ranjana Khan shared in an interview that she is living a luxurious happy married life with Naeem Khan. The New Indian Express She said,
I had the best life then. I had a private jet at my disposal to take me around. With a lifestyle like that, there were no regrets.”
- Both the sons of Naeem Khan works under his business label and his son Zaheen Khan is recently married to Haniya Riaz.
- After working under the label of Halston for 3 years, Naeem worked for him as a freelancer for the next 5 years.
- In 1983, Naeem opened his first company, Riazee, after his mother’s name. This company constituted a staff of 150 people and delivery across the US. Initially, he had to struggle a lot because he didn’t have any idea of how to run a business. In 2003, Naeem Khan launched his own brand.
- Naeem Khan presented his first collection at Olympus Fashion Week. Expressing his emotions backstage, he said in an interview,
They took me in. I was from another country competing with the biggest names of NY fashion. It was tough and it needed a lot of guts. But I have never looked back ever since.”
- Now more than 200 stores like Neiman Marcus, Bergdorf Goodman, and Saks Fifth Avenue display his collection all over the globe.
- Khan had designed costumes for the most prominent figures like Michelle Obama, Gregory Peck’s wife Veronica, Frank Sinatra’s wife Barbara, and even Betty Ford.
- Khan has designed more than 20 outfits for Michelle Obama and she wore his design for the state dinner at the White House. Naeem shared in an interview how his friendship got strong with Obama’s after this incident. Femina He said,
One day I got a call from Michelle Obama’s stylist saying Mrs Obama would like to wear Naeem Khan for an event. It was when (the then) Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was invited to a state dinner at the White House. I remember thinking, ‘What message do I want to convey with this dress?’ I decided on something that would bring Indian and American culture together. The final outcome was a strapless number covered in a pattern inspired by the poppies that Andy Warhol painted, which I rendered in silver using the ancient Indian tikki work used predominantly in Parsi saris. Mrs Obama loved the outfit and we became fans of one another.”
- Another is Duchess of Cambridge, Kate Middleton, who wore a chic blue-and-white Naeem Khan shift dress at Taj Mahal when she was on her royal tour of India and Bhutan. Naeem shared in an interview that he was unaware that Kate would be wearing his dress. He said,
I had provided Kate’s team with three possibilities when they contacted me several months ago but wasn’t told for sure The Duchess would wear my designs. That was my happiest morning. My son got married last night and The Duchess of Cambridge wore Naeem Khan in India. I was in Heaven.”
- Khan had also designed costumes for the movie “Sex and the City” and “Dreamgirls.”
- Sasha Obama and Malia Obama wore Naeem Khan’s designs for their first public appearance. Femina
I couldn’t have been more honoured,” said Naeem Khan in an interview.
- In 2008, the designer became a member of the prestigious Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA).
- In 2009, when the news came that the First lady Michelle Obama would be wearing Naeem Khan’s design, he became the third most Googled name in the world.
- Naeem Khan’s outfits usually ranged from $5,000-$25,000 per piece and were restricted to rich and celebrities. In 2009, Khan launched a private line for Home Shopping Network (HSN), known as Timeless by Naeem Khan. Under this brand, he presented outfits that ranged from $100-$300 per piece. Now, over 90 million customers are connected with HSN.
- In 2014, Naeem started designing bridal outfits. Now, several stores from Singapore to Japan showcase his bridal outfits.
- In 2015, Naeem Khan with the support of the then-mayor of Miami-Dade County wanted to relocate his studio to a grand 50,000 square foot space in Miami. This initiative of Naeem would make Miami a fashion centre. Naeem once said that this idea would combine fashion and lifestyle. He called it fashion intelligence.
- In 2017, the Miami River Commission proposed a new plan for Naeem’s fashion studio. The new plan included a vocational school at the river site. The idea of school was introduced to help teach the new generation the art of fashion design and the workings of the fashion industry. Miami Today
- In 2017, the President of the US, Donald Trump, banned the immigration of people from different countries like Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen. Naeem was the first person from the fashion world, who raise his voice against this ban through a post on Instagram handle. MIC
- Naeem once said in an interview that he had a great desire to extend his business and to design dresses for the leading actresses in India. Hindustan Times He said,
It is not easy for me to extend my business in India as I do not yet have my pre-standing stores there. Moreover, selling one or two pieces is not a business for me. Also, I haven’t found the right partnership in India. Hopefully, we’ll find the right partner but it is my dream and intention to be part of India soon and one day that I will go back and make the most amazing collection for India.”
- Khan is very fond of cooking. He likes to cook Italian, modern American, and Indian dishes. India Today He shared in an interview,
Indian cooking has become such a big thing for me that after doing it for so many years I can whip up a meal in an hour for 20 people.”
- He has a proper kitchen set up at his office. He once said that whenever Khan and his colleagues wanted to take a break from work, they used to cook and share meals together.
- He had also written a book titled, Embellished.
- Naeem is a sports fan and loves to play polo.
- Naeem once said in an interview that he never forgets from where he had come and all of his designs are mostly inspired by Indian art and culture. Also, he adds the Indian touch to his clothes in a very trendy and classy way.
- Khan loves to travel by car. He said in an interview,
Being in the car gives me time to think, time to reflect, good music, you know all those moments I enjoy.”
- Naeem Khan owns an all-white penthouse in Miami, which is on the 50th floor of the building with its private swimming pool.
- Michelle Obama had draped Naeem Khan’s dresses more than a dozen times and she profess Naeem to be her favourite designer.
- Naeem has a pet dog Raja, who walked the runway with him at New York, where he showcased his Autumn – Winter 2018 collection.
- Khan said in an interview that the most valuable thing that he possesses is a hand-mixed curry powder made by his mother. He said that the powder is a combination of 23 spices that comes freshly ground every two months from India.
- Naeem Khan wants his fashion to be timeless. He once said,
I am not a trendy designer. I make classy clothes but these clothes are relevant to today’s time. I meet women who have closets and closets of these clothes, they have been collecting for 10 or 15 years and they still wear them today.”
- In 2020, Naeem Khan paid homage to America with a star-spangled collection in New York fashion week. In an interview backstage, he said,
I started my brand with only $500 and plenty of determination. I am where I am today out of sheer time and hard work and it’s because of this country. This is my homage to thanking America.”