|Other Name||Partha Chattopadhyay Facebook- Partha Chatterjee|
|Known for||Getting arrested in 2022 for West Bengal SSC Scam along with actress Arpita Mukherjee|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 165 cm
in meters- 1.65 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 5”
|Political Party||• All India Trinamool Congress (1998-Present)
• Indian National Congress (till 1998)
|Political Journey||• Joined Trinamool Congress (TMC) in 1998
• Elected MLA from Behala West Assembly constituency (now known as Behala Paschim Assembly constituency) in 2001
• Re-elected MLA from Behala West Assembly constituency in 2006
• Leader of the Opposition (21 September 2006-13 May 2011)
• Re-elected MLA from Behala Paschim Assembly constituency in 2011
• Given the charge of Ministry of Commerce & Industries (West Bengal), Ministry of Information Technology and Electronics (West Bengal), and Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs (West Bengal)
• Nominated as the Deputy Leader of the House in 2011
• Became the incharge of Department of School Education (West Bengal)(20 May 2014–10 May 2021)
• Re-elected MLA from Behala Paschim Assembly constituency in 2016
• Re-elected MLA from Behala Paschim Assembly constituency in 2021
• Given the charge of Ministry of Commerce & Industries (West Bengal) and Ministry of Information Technology and Electronics (West Bengal)
• Appointed National Vice President of TMC in 2022
|Date of Birth||6 October 1952 (Monday)|
|Age (as of 2022)||70 Years|
|Birthplace||Kolkata, West Bengal, India|
|Hometown||Kolkata, West Bengal, India|
|School||• Ramakrishna Mission Vidyalaya, Narendrapur
• New Alipore Multipurpose School, Kolkata
|College/University||• University of Calcutta, West Bengal
• Asutosh College, Kolkata
• Indian Institute of Social Welfare and Business Management, Kolkata
• Industrial Society of London, UK
• University of North Bengal, West Bengal
|Educational Qualification||• Bachelor of Laws (LLB) from the University of Calcutta, West Bengal MyNeta- Partha Chatterjee
• Bachelor of Arts (Hons.) in Economics at Asutosh College, Kolkata
• Master of Business Administration (MBA) at the Indian Institute of Social Welfare and Business Management, Kolkata
• A degree in Personnel Management and Industrial Relations (PMIR) at the Industrial Society of London, UK (under a scholarship from the British Council)
• PhD in Economics from the University of North Bengal, West Bengal Facebook- Partha Chatterjee
Note: His topic for PhD thesis was Transformation of Industrial Economy to Knowledge Economy with reference to Human Resource Management. The Times of India
|Controversy||School Jobs Scam
On 23 July 2022, Chatterjee was arrested by the Enforcement Directorate in connection with school recruitment scam in West Bengal. Chatterjee's arrest came after Rs 20 crore was recovered from his aide Arpita Mukherjee's residence. Reportedly, the scam took place during Chatterjee’s tenure as the education minister of West Bengal. Allegedly, the education minister had ensured jobs in exchange for money for the candidates with lower marks rather than those who qualified for it according to the merit lists. India Today On 28 July 2022, the West Bengal government sacked him from cabinet after he was arrested by the Enforcement Directorate (ED) in a school jobs scam. The Hindu
|Relationships & More|
Note: Babli Chatterjee died of cardiac arrest in July 2017.
|Children||Daughter- Sohini Chatterjee (IT professional)|
|Parents||Father- B.K. Chatterjee
Mother- Name Not Known
|Assets/Properties||• Deposits in Banks, Financial Institutions and Non-Banking Financial Companies: Rs 64,46,187
• Residential Buildings: Rs 25,00,000 MyNeta- Partha Chatterjee
|Net Worth (as of 2021)||Rs 1,15,94,863 MyNeta- Partha Chatterjee|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Partha Chatterjee
- Partha Chatterjee is an Indian politician and member of the Trinamool Congress who was taken into custody by the Enforcement Directorate in July 2022 for his alleged involvement in the teacher recruitment scam in the West Bengal School Service Commission.
- He grew up in South Kolkata’s Naktala neighbourhood.
- Partha Chatterjee was one of the chief financer of ‘Naktala Udayan Sangha,’ a prominent Durga Puja committee in Kolkata, whose brand ambassador of the promotional campaigns in 2019 and 2020 was Arpita Mukherjee.
- Although Partha Chatterjee’s daughter, Sohini Chatterjee, hasn’t ventured into active politics, she aided her father in social media campaigning during the 2016 West Bengal Legislative Assembly elections.
- Before pursuing a career in politics, Chatterjee worked at the government undertaking Andrew Yule & Co. as an HR professional.
- He has served as the National President of the National Institute of Personnel Management, Kolkata (Calcutta).
- He used to function as an editor of Jago Bangla, the mouthpiece of Trinamool Congress.
- For a long time, he held the position of Secretary General of TMC Bengal. He was also a member of the TMC’s disciplinary committee.
- In April 2019, an internet user named Gopa Das shared a picture of a boy at a party claiming that he was Partha Chatterjee’s son. Thereafter, the picture went viral on the internet following which Chatterjee took to social media to announce that he did not have a son.
- In the memory of his dog lover wife, who passed away in 2017, Partha Chatterjee built a hospital for dogs named Babli Chatterjee Memorial Pet Hospital on a plot of 17 acres near Baghajatin railway station in South Kolkata. In an interview, while remembering his wife, he said,
Babli was a dog-lover in true sense. There are six dogs in our family now that include two St. Bernards, Golden Retriever and Pug. As long she was fit, she used to take care of them that including feeding them, giving them medicines and taking them to vets. Even when she went to sleep at night, her pets were her companions. So I thought that a hospital for dogs will be the best way to keep her memories alive.”
- In the aftermath of his arrest in the SSC scam in 2022, it was discovered that Chatterjee had a luxury flat in West Bengal’s Diamond City exclusively for his dogs. The ED unearthed many disproportionate assets of Chatterjee after his arrest which included three flats, 18/D, 19/D and 20/D, in Diamond City. India Today
- He is the recipient of the HR Excellence Award from IPM, Sri Lanka, and HR RATNA from NIPM.