Some Lesser Known Facts about Princess Diana
- Didi Princess smoke?: No
- Did Princess drink alcohol?: Yes
- Diana Spencer was born 1 July 1961 in the Sandringham Estate, which her family had rented from the Royal family.
- Ballet was her initial love. When her height turned 5’10”, she was declared too tall to join Ballet professionally. However, she continued to support the English National Ballet, both as a private dancer and through fundraising efforts.
- She took a series of low-paying jobs; she worked as a dance instructor for youth until a skiing accident caused her to miss three months of work.
- Years before Diana got engaged to Prince Charles, he used to date Diana’s sister, Sarah.
- Princess Diana did not shine academically, but she excelled in swimming, diving, and studied ballet and tap dance.
- Instead of hiring a famous designer for her wedding, Princess Diana had taken the help of a couple, (David and Elizabeth Emanuel) who had recently graduated from the college. Princess Diana’s dress was made of taffeta. But, they had ordered both ivory and white fabrics so that her dress would remain a secret until her wedding day.
- Princess Diana’s wedding was described as a “fairytale wedding”, which was watched by over 750 million people all over the world.
- She was known to send Thank You notes to everyone, even for the smallest of the favors and the deeds.
- She had auctioned 79 of her dresses and had managed to raise $5.76 million for breast cancer and aids charity.
- Princess Diana also supported the International Campaign to Ban Landmines. This charity won a Nobel Peace Prize a few months after her death.
- Princess Diana was extremely protective of her sons and made sure to accompany them to their school whenever she could spare time.
- She had also broken the tradition on her wedding by not saying,“ she promises to obey.”
- Diana and her then-lover, James Govey, were secretly recorded on the phone, as were Prince Charles and Camilla. Both phone tapes were anonymously leaked to tabloids and subsequently released to the public.
- On June 29, 1994, Charles participated in a documentary where he had publicly admitted to cheating on Diana.
- In 1995 BBC interview Diana had admitted that she had committed adultery during her marriage.
- The divorce was finalized on 28 August 1996. Diana received a lump sum settlement of £17 million as well as £400,000 per year.
- During her six-week-long relationship with Dodi Fayed, on a whim, they had decided to go to Paris to spend the night. Fayed had come up with a plan to run away from the eyes of the reporters — but the paparazzi were waiting behind their hotel (the Ritz) anyway and around 1 am the car was reported to have crashed.
- Around 3 am, Princess Diana was reported as dead.
- She was 36 when she died.
- The Prince of Wales’ police officer had to sit in the jump seat in the front of the plane because the first flight to London was full of media persons.
- She had appeared on the cover of People Weekly magazine a record-breaking 81 times. The ‘Goodbye Diana’ issue racked up sales of almost $3 million making the issue the magazine’s best-seller in its existence.
- Diana’s burial site is located on her family’s land, known as Althorp Park in Northamptonshire, England. The path to the island is covered with 36 Oak trees, representing her age as when she died.
📢⚡TRENDING: List of ICC World Cup Winners (1975-2015)