Father: Mohd. Ayyub Waquif
Hometown: Srinagar, J&K
Age: 38 Years
|Full Name||Rana Ayyub Khan|
|Profession(s)||Journalist, Author, Columnist|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 168 cm
in meters- 1.68 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 6”
|Weight (approx.)||in Kilograms- 60 kg
in Pounds- 132 lbs
|Date of Birth||1 May 1984|
|Age (as of 2022||38 Years|
|Birthplace||Srinagar, J&K, India|
|Hometown||Srinagar, J&K, India|
|School||Did schooling from Srinagar|
|College/University||Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi, India|
|Educational Qualifications||Post Graduation in Social Communications and Media from Jamia Millia Islamia|
|Family||Father- Mohd. Ayyub Waquif
Mother- Name Not Known
Brother- Not Known
Sister- Iffat Shaikh
|Hobbies||Traveling, Reading, Listening to Music|
|Controversies||• There were disputes between Rana Ayyub, Tarun Tejpal and Shoma Chaudhury of Tehelka over dropped stories and editorial decisions.
• In February 2022, the Enforcement Directorate attached assets worth over Rs. 1.77 crore from Rana Ayyub. In a First Information Report (FIR) registered by the Indirapuram Police Station in Uttar Pradesh’s Ghaziabad, she was alleged to have illegally acquired money from general public in the name of charity. Reportedly, she raised this amount via “Ketto,” an online crowd funding platform, for slum dwellers and farmers during April-May 2020; relief work for Assam, Bihar, and Maharashtra during June-September 2020; and help for COVID-19 impacted people during May-June 2021. The agency said, “Funds totalling ₹2,69,44,680 were raised on Ketto by Rana Ayyub. These funds were withdrawn in the bank accounts of her sister/father. Of this amount, ₹72,01,786 was withdrawn in her own bank account." The agency also alleged, “Fake bills were found to have been prepared by Ms. Ayyub in the name of some entities to claim expenses on relief work. Expenses made for personal travel by air were claimed as expense for relief work." The Hindu On 13 October 2022, the Enforcement Directorate filed a chargesheet against Rana Ayyub for illegally acquiring funds in the name of charity. The agency said, "ED investigation has established that Ms. Rana Ayyub had launched the aforesaid campaigns with the sole intention to cheat the general public and acquired proceeds of crime in the form of FD (fixed-deposit) and balances in bank accounts projecting them as untainted." The Hindu
|Boys, Affairs and More|
|Marital Status||Not Known|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Rana Ayyub
- She was born to an upper-middle-class family in Srinagar, J&K.
- She attained her primary schooling from Srinagar.
- For higher education, she moved to New Delhi, where she pursued her Post Graduation in Social Communications and Media.
- Ayyub also has an experience in filmmaking and radio shows.
- In 2008, she joined Tehelka as an Investigations and Political Affairs Journalist.
- Before joining Tehelka, she worked as a freelancer for various news channels.
- In October 2011, Ayyub was honored with “Sanskriti Award” for excellence in journalism.
- In 2013, she resigned from Tehelka over a dispute with Tarun Tejpal (editor-in-chief of Tehelka) as there was a sexual assault charge against him.
- The Outlook magazine listed her investigation of the alleged Gujarat fake encounters as one of the 20 greatest magazine stories of all time across the world.
- She is a good friend of Bollywood actress Richa Chadha.
- She played the role of a journalist in the 2016 Bollywood film- Chalk n Duster.
- She is a staunch critic of Narendra Modi-led Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP) Government.