Sabyasachi Mukherjee Age, Family, Biography & More
Some Lesser Known Facts About Sabyasachi Mukherjee
- Does Sabyasachi Mukherjee smoke?: Not Known
- Does Sabyasachi Mukherjee drink alcohol?: Yes
- His mother used to work at Government Art College, Kolkata and was into handicraft work.
- His father lost his job when Sabyasachi was just 15 yrs.
- He always wanted to be a fashion designer and wanted to study at NIFT, but His parents disagreed, so he sold his books to pay for his admission form and fortunately he passed the exam.
- In 1999, after completing his graduation, he started his career by opening a workshop with a workforce of just three people.
- In 2001, he won the Femina British Council’s- The most outstanding and young designer of India award, which led him to London for an internship with ‘Georgina von Etzdorf’, an eclectic designer based in Salisbury.
- In 2003, he made his first international runway, with the “Grand Winner Award” at the Mercedes Benz New Asia Fashion week in Singapore.
- After that award show, he was able to open a workshop in Paris by ‘Jean Paul Gaultier’ and ‘Azzedine Alaia’.
- It was in the year 2006, when he came up with his ‘Spring Summer collection’07 at New York Fashion Week which earned him the critical acclaim and his label started selling worldwide.
- He is majorly specialized in Indian Bridal Wear.
- His design philosophy is “personalized imperfection of the human hands”.
- His sister manages all the business of his label.
- Deserts, gypsies, prostitutes, antique textiles and cultural traditions of his hometown- Kolkata have always inspired him for his designing ideas.
- He also started a project called ‘Save the Saree’ where he retails hand-woven Indian sarees on a non-profit basis priced at 3500 and the entire proceeds go to the weavers of Murshidabad.
- He uses Banarasi fabric extensively in his designed collection.
- He is also one of the designers who brought Indian fabric ‘Khadi’ on the International platform.
- After the success of the movie – Black (2005), he then designed for other Bollywood movies such as Baabul, Laaga Chunari Mein Daag, Raavan, Guzaarish, Paa, No One Killed Jessica and English Vinglish.