|Real Name||Sharjeel Imam|
|Famous For||Delivering an anti-national speech at the Aligarh Muslim University|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 170 cm
in meters- 1.70 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 7”
|Age (as in 2020)||32 Years|
|School||• St Xavier's high school, Patna (2004)
• Delhi Public School, Vasant Kunj (2004-06)
|College/University||• IIT, Bombay (2006-11)
• Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi (2013-present)
|Educational Qualification||• Integrated B.Tech-M.Tech in Computer science (IIT Bombay)
• M.A. in Modern History (JNU) (2013-15)
• M.Phil in Modern Indian History (JNU) (2015-17)
• PhD in Modern Indian History (JNU) (2017-present)
|Relationships & More|
|Parents||Father- Syed Akbar Imam
Mother- Afshan Rahim
|Siblings||Brother- Muzzammil Imam
Some Lesser Known Facts About Sharjeel Imam
- Sharjeel Imam’s father, Syed Akbar Imam, contested Bihar Assembly Elections in 2005 and lost by a margin of 447 votes to S N Yadav (RJD). He later died due to bone cancer, in 2014.
- Sharjeel’s younger brother, Muzzammil Imam is a social activist and former State President of Rashtriya Yuva Samta Party. He has actively participated in the Anti-CAA protests.
सब्ज़िबाग़ चौराहा पटना में नागरिकता संशोधन कानून एवं राष्ट्रीय नागरिक रजिस्टर के विरुद्ध शांतिपूर्ण विरोध प्रदर्शन में लोगो के समक्ष अपनी बात रखते हुए।
Muzzammil Imam ಅವರಿಂದ ಈ ದಿನದಂದು ಪೋಸ್ಟ್ ಮಾಡಲಾಗಿದೆ ಸೋಮವಾರ, ಜನವರಿ 13, 2020
- Sharjeel has always had a keen interest in Islamic theories.
- According to what Sharjeel has articulated in one of his writings for a news portal, being a sole Muslim in the class of 200 students, he had to endure prejudice during his days at the IIT Bombay. Firstpost
- In his final year at the IIT Bombay, Sharjeel worked as a teaching assistant at the university.
- After quitting his job as a software developer, Sharjeel Imam entered JNU in 2013, owing to its reputation as the “fort of secularism,” and their struggles against the tyrannical forces.
- Sharjeel Imam was a member of AISA, a student party in the JNU campus, from 2013 to 2015. However, due to a few differences, he left the party shortly after the incident of Najeeb Ahmad’s disappearance, following a spat with some of the members of ABVP (student party).
- Sharjeel’s former teachers recognise him as an intelligent & ingenious student. “I don’t know anyone who has such a stronghold over Indian history. He could talk about Eqbal Ahmad and Allama Iqbal at length,” said Afreen Fatima, one of his JNU friends.
- Sharjeel organised protests against CAA at Shaheen Bagh and other places in Delhi. He resorted to forming a movement under the name of “Chakka Jam,” which involved blocking all the major routes in Delhi, and he even wanted to spread this movement across the country.
- In the charge sheet filed by Delhi Police in the December 15 Jamia Milia violence case, Imam was named as the prime suspect who incited the riots. Indiatoday
- Reportedly, Sharjeel delivered inflammatory speeches at different locations in Delhi. He absconded immediately after a video clip from one of his speeches, which he had delivered at Aligarh Muslim University emerged online. The speech included anti-national statements. Subsequently, FIR was lodged against him in Delhi and several other states. Eventually, on 28 January 2020, he was arrested from his hometown Kako, Jehanabad, in a joint operation by Delhi and Bihar police, on the charges of sedition, spreading communal hatred and inciting people for violence.