Marriage Date: 6 October 2018
Husband: Saboor Ahmed Sirwal
Age: 27 Years
|Known For||Citizenship Amendment Act protests|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 163 cm
in meters- 1.63 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 4”
|Date of Birth||Year, 1993|
|Age (as in 2020)||27 Years|
|Birthplace||Kishtwar, Jammu and Kashmir|
|Hometown||Kishtwar, Jammu and Kashmir|
|School||She did most of her schooling in Faridabad. The Wire|
|College/University||• Jesus and Mary College, Delhi University
• Jamia Millia Islamia, Delhi
|Educational Qualification(s) The Wire||• B.A. from Jesus and Mary College, Delhi University
• M.A. in sociology from Jamia Millia Islamia
• Pursuing MPhil in Sociology at Jamia Millia Islamia
|Hobbies||Reading, Writing, Travelling|
|Controversies||• She has been accused by the Delhi Police of being a key “conspirator” in the Delhi violence that erupted in February 2020 and in which more than 53 people were killed. The Delhi Police arrested her on 10 April 2020 at her residence followed by an FIR 48/2020 filed in the Jaffrabad road-block case. ALJAZEERA
• On 20 April 2020, she was also named in a separate case in connection to FIR 59/2020. FIDH
• For inciting people through her speeches during anti-CAA protests, she has been charged under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act (UAPA). The Print
• The Delhi Police has booked her under more than 18 crimes, including rioting, possession of arms, attempt to murder, incitement of violence, sedition, murder, and promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of religion. ALJAZEERA
• On 24 June 2020, the Delhi High Court released her on bail on the pretext of her pregnancy and other medical issues. She was lodged in Delhi's Tihar Jail since 15 April 2020. Hindustan Times
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||6 October 2018 (Saturday)
|Marriage Type||Arranged The Wire|
|Husband/Spouse||Saboor Ahmed Sirwal
|Parents||Father- Shabir Hussain Zargar (a retired Indian government employee)
Mother- Name Not Known (homemaker)
Sister- Sameeya Zargar
|Fast Food||Maggi Noodles|
|Novelist||George R. R. Martin|
|Clothing Brand||Jack & Jones|
|Hotel||Eros Hotel New Delhi Facebook|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Safoora Zargar
- Safoora Zargar is a Sociology student who is pursuing MPhil at Jamia Millia Islamia in Delhi. She comes from Kishtwar, Jammu and Kashmir. She made headlines in 2020 for leading various anti-CAA protests in Delhi and NCR following which she was arrested in April 2020 under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act (UAPA).
- Although she belongs to Kishtwar, Jammu and Kashmir, she lacks the typical Kashmiri features and accent because she has spent most of her childhood and adulthood in Delhi and NCR.
- In an interview, she revealed that when she was in school, she was the only Muslim in her class and most of her classmates used to taunt her for being a Kashmiri Muslim by saying –
- Safoora also revealed in an interview that she had been considered an outsider in Delhi, though she considers herself a typical Delhite, she said,
- While pursuing her BA in Sociology, she worked closely with Women’s Development Cell and also started a campus magazine. Outlook
- After her graduation, Safoora Zargar pursued a career in marketing for almost a year and a half. Thereafter, she attended Jamia Millia Islamia where she did an MA in Sociology. Outlook
- While pursuing her post-graduation at Jamia Millia Islamia, Zargar actively protested against the Kathua Rape case in 2018.
- In 2018, she also became part of protests against the Syria turmoil.
- In 2019, Safoora Zargar started doing an MPhil in sociology at Jamia Millia Islamia.
- At Jamia Millia Islamia, Zargar closely worked with the media wing of the Jamia Coordination Committee and started taking part in anti-CAA protests in Delhi and NCR.
- On 10 February 2020, when she was leading an anti-CAA protest in Delhi, a scuffle ensued between the police and students in which she fainted.
- After her name appeared in an F.I.R. 48/2020 filed in the Jaffrabad road-block case, the Delhi Police arrested her at her residence in Delhi on 10 April 2020. According to the Delhi Police, Safoora Zargar was a key “conspirator” in the violence that erupted at the Jafrabad Metro station on 22–23 February 2020 in which 53 people were killed. ALJAZEERA
- On 11 April 2020, Zargar was produced before the Metropolitan Magistrate from where she was remanded in police custody for two days.
- On 13 April 2020, she was granted bail; however, she was rearrested the same day in another case.
- On 15 April 2020, Zargar was sent to Tihar Jail, and since then, she has been lodged there. According to sources, to protect her and her unborn baby from the COVID-19, the jail authorities put her in solitary confinement for almost two weeks. ALJAZEERA
- On 20 April 2020, some additional charges were also framed against her by the Delhi Police. FIDH
- Reportedly, at the time of her arrest, Zargar was three months pregnant; a piece of news that went viral on social media, and people started doing her character assassination for her pre-marriage pregnancy. Many forged pictures and videos of Safoora Zargar were circulated on social media to troll her. In one such video of a couple-sex, the woman was claimed to be Safoora Zargar; however, later the woman was identified as a PornHub model, Selena Banks. Alt News
- On 4 June 2020, Safoora Zargar was denied bail by the Patiala House Court in Delhi. Judge Dharmendra Rana, while dismissing her bail petition, said,