Husband: Mansoor Ali Khan Pataudi
Marriage Date: 27 December 1969
Age: 79 Years
|Real Name||Sharmila Tagore (Aka Begum Ayesha Sultana)|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 162 cm
in meters- 1.62 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 4”
|Weight (approx.)||in Kilograms- 55 kg
in Pounds- 121 lbs
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Hair Colour||Dark Brown|
|Date of Birth||8 December 1944 (Friday)|
|Age (as of 2023)||79 Years|
|Birthplace||Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India|
|Hometown||Hyderabad, Telangana, India|
|School(s)||• Loreto Convent, Asansol, West Bengal, India,
• St. John's Diocesan Girls' Higher Secondary School, Kolkata
|Educational Qualification||Not Known|
|Debut||Bengali Film- Apur Sansar (The World of Apu) (1959)
Hindi Film- Kashmir Ki Kali (1964)
|Awards, Honours||• Filmfare Award for Best Actress for the film Aradhana (1970)
• National Film Award for Best Actress for the film Mausam (1975)
• Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award (1998)
• National Film Award for Best Supporting Actress for the film Abar Aranye (2003)
• Honoured with Padma Bhushan by the Government of India (2013)
• Lifetime Achievement Award by PHD Chamber of Commerce (2017)
• Critics’ Choice Award in Best Actor (Female) category for the film ‘Gulmohar’ at the Filmfare OTT Awards (26 November 2023)
|Family||Father- Gitindranath Tagore
Mother- Ira Baruah
Sisters- late Oindrila Kunda (Tinku Tagore), Romila Sen (Chinky Tagore)
|Religion||• Hinduism (by birth)
• Islam (converted to Islam just before her marriage)
|Hobbies||Shopping, Gardening, Reading Books, and Listening to music|
|Favourite Director||Satyajit Ray|
|Favourite Actors||Sanjeev Kumar, Shashi Kapoor, Rajesh Khanna, Dharmendra|
|Favourite Singer||Begum Akhtar|
|Favourite Destinations||France, South Africa|
|Favourite Food||Bengali Cuisine|
|Favourite Restaurant||Bukhara, Delhi|
|Boys, Affairs and More|
|Affairs/Boyfriends||Mansoor Ali Khan|
|Husband/Spouse||Mansoor Ali Khan Pataudi (Cricketer)
|Marriage Date||27 December 1969|
|Children||Son- Saif Ali Khan (Actor)
Daughters- Saba Ali Khan and Soha Ali Khan (Actress)
Daughter-in-law- Kareena Kapoor
Son-in-law- Kunal Khemu
Grandson(s)- Ibrahim Ali Khan
Taimur Ali Khan
Granddaughter- Sara Ali Khan
Some Lesser Known Facts About Sharmila Tagore
- She is the great-granddaughter of poet Rabindranath Tagore.
- Sharmila was born in Hyderabad, but she spent some years of childhood in Kolkata.
- She was offered to work in films at the age of 13.
- Sharmila was not good at studies. Her attendance was very short, she came to be regarded as a bad influence on her schoolmates and faced a choice of either doing films or studying further.
- Her younger sister Oindrila was the first in the family to act in a film, and the only role she ever played was that of Mini in Tapan Sinha’s film Kabuliwala (1957).
- She was the first Indian Actress to appear in a bikini for 1967 movie ‘An Evening in Paris’, which established Sharmila as a sex symbol in Hindi films.
- In 1968, she also posed in a bikini for the glossy Filmfare magazine.
- Before being married to Mansoor Ali Khan, Sharmila converted to Islam and changed her name to Begum Ayesha Sultana though she and her family never used that name.
- Her Husband Mansoor Ali Khan Pataudi was the Nawab of Pataudi and former captain of the Indian cricket team.
- Sharmila’s husband Mansoor Ali died in September 2011, and in November 2012 she wrote to the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) asking for the upcoming series between India and England to be recognized as the Pataudi Trophy.
- For 1975 movie Mausam, she won the National Film Award for Best Actress and National Film Award for Best Supporting Actress for Abar Aranye.
- In 2005, she was chosen as the Goodwill Ambassador for UNICEF India.
- Sharmila Tagore served as the chairperson of the Indian Film Censor Board between October 2004 and March 2011.
- In 2013, Padma Bhushan was bestowed on her by the Government of India.