• TV Host
• Food Consultant
• Content Creator
• Food Critic
• Social Communicator
|Famous For||Winning MasterChef India (season 2), in 2010 Shipra Khanna's Instagram account and regarded as the "Youngest Female Celebrity Chef in India." Shipra Khanna's LinkedIn account|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||5 feet & 6 inches|
|Cooking style||Indian Cuisine|
|Award(s)||• ‘Culinary Connoisseur' by Australia tourism and Cox and Kings in 2014
• “Women Chef taking taste beyond borders" by SAARCS Chamber Women Entrepreneurs Council (SCWEC), 2017.
• "Best Television Chef Book Outside Europe" by Gourmand World Cookbook Awards 2017.
|Date of Birth||18 November 1981 (Wednesday)|
|Hometown||Shimla, Himachal Pradesh, India.|
|School||Loreto convent school in Upper Kaithu, Shimla, Himachal Pradesh, India|
|College||St Bede's College Shimla, Himachal Pradesh, India|
|Education Qualification||Graduation in Economics and Psychology The National News|
|Food Habit||Non-Vegetarian DNA India|
|Hobbies||Doing Yoga & Meditation, and Travelling|
|Relationships & More|
|Marital Status||Divorced The National News|
|Husband/Spouse||Name Not Known|
|Children||Daughter- Yadavi Khattar (Younger)
Son- Himannk Khattar (Elder)
|Parents||Father- Balween Khanna (runs a jewellery shop in Shimla)
Mother- Radha khanna
|Siblings||She has a brother, Akshay Khanna, who runs a jewelry shop with his father in Shimla.|
|Food||• Mille-feuille (French cuisine)
• French gourmet food
• French croissants
• Indian tandoori or English–bread
Some Lesser Known Facts About Shipra Khanna
- Does Shipra Khanna drink alcohol?: Yes
- Shipra Khanna is an Indian Celebrity chef from Shimla, Himachal Pradesh, who was the winner of the television show MasterChef India Season 2, broadcasted on popular TV channel Star Plus in 2010. Among the last two finalists, she had to prepare dishes for 100 people present at the show who voted for Shipra to become the winner of the show.
- Her marriage broke down when she was only 19, and she had to struggle to get custody of her kids. She also faced dowry abuse from her husband and his family. India Today
- After her broken marriage, Shipra did not know what to do next in her life. Later, she joined cooking classes as one of her stress-busters, and consequently, it became her passion that led her to become the winner of MasterChef India Season 2.
- Shipra gives credit to her mother for all her success, and she considers her mother the biggest inspiration behind winning MasterChef India Season 2. In an interview, while talking about her mother, Shipra said,
My mother is my biggest motivator. Had she not inspired me to cooking, I would not have won this title. Thanks Mom,”
Her mother Radha Khanna also said,
My child has gone through a very bad phase in her early life”. “She was just out of college when we married her off. It was a terrible time and finally we told her to call it off and return home. Today, this winner is a miracle child, happy and contended,” she said. “Shipra really made us and Shimla proud. Fame after a lot of struggle is the best thing that happened to her.”
- On winning the cash prize amount of 1 crore in MasterChef India Season 2, Shipra said,
I am going to share a part of my cash prize of Rs 1 crore with special children studying at a school near Shimla,” she said. “I know it’s just one step, I have to go miles.”
Besides winning the cash prize, she got an opportunity to host a show on Star Plus as part of her contract and a vacation for three nights and four days in London.
- Her father, Balween Khanna, and her brother, Akshay Khanna, together run a jewelry showroom in Shimla.
- After winning MasterChef India Season 2, she judged many popular Food TV shows like K for Kids and Pure Sin with Shipra Khanna on Food Food, and appeared as a celebrity chef in Britannia Star Chef with Saif Ali Khan.
- She has also hosted many international food TV shows including Good Food Guide Season 2 on Star Plus, UAE, and Flavors of Ramadan Season 3 on Star Plus, UAE.
- In September 2013, she started her first restaurant in Ahmedabad, Gujarat named “H.O.T – House of Taste.” India Today She also began her second venture, “The Darzi Bar & Kitchen, in New Delhi (14 January 2017 – present)”. TOI In an interview, while talking about running her restaurants, she said,
I don’t want a pseudo elite kind of a restaurant but a place that can be enjoyed by all kinds of people.”
- In October 2014, Shipra stated in an interview when she was asked about her food habits that-
I love vegetarian food, but in my profession you have to be a non-vegetarian.”
- In an interview that she gave in 2014, she was asked what was her favorite food destination, and she replied,
New York and London. These are the major food hubs and you’ll find anything you think of eating. Australia is the next food destination.”
- In 2014, when she was asked about her favorite chefs, Shipra told that she admires Sanjeev Kapoor, Kunal Kapur, and Vikas Khanna.
- Shipra considers Ajay Chopra and Kunal Kapur her mentors.
- In 2014, she was asked about her favorite food and drinks, and she stated that-
I love wine and Australia has its own wine and cheese, which is different from French, South American and South African wines. I am looking forward to tasting authentic wine in the Australian wineries. I’m also looking forward to tasting Australian ice-creams since they are known for their dairy products. Every place has their own stamp on foods that we’re familiar with. I can’t wait to try their burgers and steaks, which will be very different from the Americans. Their seafood is outstanding as well–lobsters, crab–and I’m eager to try it.”
- Shipra Khanna won the Best TV Celebrity Cookbook for her book ‘Sinfully Yours’ at the World Gourmand Awards in China in 2017, and it was the first book by an Indian chef to win this award.
- She was also entitled ‘The Culinary Ambassador to Spain,” by the Spanish Ambassador to India in 2017.
- In 2017, Shipra went for vegetarian starters and desserts workshop, hosted by Faccia Events in Chennai, India, where she mentioned-
Winning the show definitely opened exciting new avenues for me. However, what many people don’t realise is winning the title is easier than living up to it. Sometimes you make decisions you regret but you learn, like I have learnt through trial and error.”
Making a mark in a male-dominated industry, of course! However, I truly believe that the odds are not skewed against women today as was the case a few years back. Earlier, you had one Tarla Dalal for a hundred Sanjeev Kapoors. Today, women are more determined and clear about the kind of goals they want to achieve. That is a good thing, definitely.”
- Shipra tied up with travel giant Yatra to train chefs in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands in 2017, where she declared that-
You have fresh produce and exciting ingredients in the Andamans, but sadly they were not being put to great use. I am trying to collaborate with restaurants there to compile an exciting menu for tourists…an even better reason you have to visit this undiscovered gem of a place!”
- Shipra Khanna is an admirer of architectural marvels, and she believes that the art of cooking and architecture are somewhat closely related.
- In her leisure time, she loves to do photography.
- Shipra is a dog lover, and she often posts videos and photos of her pet dogs on social media. Shipra also loves to cook for her pet dogs.
- Shipra Khanna is an Indian street food lover, and she often posts photos and videos of her love for Indian street food on social media.
- Shipra is a devoted environmental advocate, and she often campaigns to promote tree plantation in India.
- Ms. Khanna roams around the world to express and promote her talent and skills in Indian cuisine.
- Shipra has also walked the ramps at various events.
- Shipra is a yoga enthusiast, and she actively campaigns to promote yoga through her various posts on social media.
- Shipra loves to ride bikes, and she often posts about her love for bikes on social media.
- In 2019, she was invited as one of the judges at the Miss Russian LA pageant.
- In 2018, Levi’s presented live sessions and discussions with Shipra Khanna, and she participated in the show.
- In 2018, Ms. Khanna launched her book “Super Foods For Awesome Memory.”
- Shipra Khanna loves underwater activities like Scooba diving.
- In 2017, MasterChef 2 winner Shipra Khanna was honored to inaugurate the first tandoor in Paris, where she demonstrated ‘four-course’ use of the tandoor.
- Shipra Khanna has featured in many renowned magazines and tabloids.
- Shipra Khanna has also appeared in many TV commercials including Saffola masala oats.
- To brush up on her cooking skills, Ms. Khanna often attends various workshops and training on food.
- In 2015, she was invited to the 100-year celebration of ‘Long bar’ at Raffles, Singapore.
- Shipra Khanna, in 2015, on the occasion of Women’s Day, got Nature’s Basket gift, a wine bottle on which her picture was engraved.
- In 2014, she actively promoted Madhya Pradesh tourism.
- In March 2021, Shipra Khanna attended “Indonesian Gastro Diplomacy” in Mumbai.