|Nickname(s)||Master Sooraj Facebook - Sooraj Thelakkad|
|Physical Stats & More|
|The New Indian Express Height||in centimeters- 122 cm
in meters- 1.22 m
in feet & inches- 4’ 0”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms-40 kg
in pounds-88 lbs
|Debut||Malayalam Film:Charlie (2015)
TV:Bhima Jewels Comedy Festival Season 1 (2012) (supporting artist)
|Date of Birth||4 September 1995 (Monday)|
|Age (as of 2022)||26 Years|
|School||• Government L.P. School, Thelakkad
• G H S Vengoor
|College/University||St.Mary's College Puthananghadi|
|Educational Qualification||M.Com citation|
|Hobbies||Driving a car|
|Relationships & More|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||Reportedly, he was in a relationship with a media personality.|
|Parents||Father- Alikkal Mohanan (a collection agent in Vanitha Co-operative Bank)
Mother- Jyothilakshmi (a housewife)
Some Lesser Known Facts About Sooraj Thelakkad
- Sooraj Thelakkad is an Indian actor, comedian, and mimicry artist, who works predominantly in the Malayalam entertainment industry.
- He suffers from a physical condition called dwarfism. In an interview he said,
When I was in high school, I was not even 90 cm tall. It is now 110 cm. Despite my physical limitations, I was given opportunities and noticed because of my short stature.”
- He started doing mimicry when he was just 10 years old and was in 5th grade, which he learned from his father.
- He took part in the 52nd State School Children’s Festival held in Thrissur for the first time in 2011-12.
- He got an A grade in the Kerala School State Kalolsavam mimicry in 2012 and a second A grade in 2013.
- He started his career as a standup comedian and an impressionist. In an interview, he recalled that he got various opportunities because he used to get easily noticed because of his short height.
- He began doing television in 2012 when he featured as a supporting artist on Bhima Jewels Comedy Festival Season 1, which aired on Mazhavil Manorama. He then became a part of its sequel also.
- In 2015, he appeared in the show Comedy Super Nite and stayed a part of it for the next four years.
- In 2017, he got the opportunity to play a cameo in three movies: Cappuccino, Udaharanam Sujatha, and Vimaanam.
- He then did various comedy shows in 2019-20 and also hosted the game show, Udan Panam 3.0, which aired on Mazhavil Manorama in 2021.
- His popularity increased manifolds when he was roped in for the titular role of the film Android Kunjappan Version 5.25 in 2019, which Ratheesh Poduval directed.
- Initially, it was rumoured that the team of the film, Android Kunjappan Version 5.25, had used a real robot for the shoot. This intrigued the audience; however, later it was revealed that Sooraj Thelakkad wore a robot costume to portray the role, which he managed to hide from the audience for over 45 days.
- When it was finally revealed that Sooraj Thelakkad was behind the Android Kunjappan’s robot costume, his social media flooded with congratulatory posts. Celebrities such as Guinness Pakru also took to social media to appreciate the actor.
- Reportedly, there was an assistant on the sets of the film to help Sooraj with the approx 6 kg heavy costume. It took him an hour daily to get dressed in the robot costume because it had various bolts which were fastened after he wore the costume. In an interview, he revealed,
During the shoot, I was exhausted as the robot’s attire was unbearably hot. Within four days, I suffered cough and cold due to sweating. My co-actor Suraj told me it would be better to shave off my hair. At first, I was not ready, but finally I decided to have the shaved look for Kunjappan,”
- He also featured in movies such as Oru Adaar Love (2019), Ambili (2019), Dhamaka (2020) etc.
- In 2022, he entered the Bigg Boss (Malayalam season 4) house as a contestant.
- Although Sooraj loves driving, getting a driving licence wasn’t as easy and enjoyable for him because his height became a barrier in getting a driving licence for a four-wheeler. The Perinthalmanna Motor Vehicle Inspector (MVI) Binoy Varghese clarified that there was a provision to provide licences to people who are not tall and use ‘adapted vehicles’. This struck a bell for Sooraj and he got his car’s seat modified. In an interview, he explained,
It had been my dream to get a four-wheeler licence from the Motor Vehicles Department (MVD), I love driving cars. However, my height was a barrier. I searched for options and got a solution, The ‘solution’ was a car with a modified seat.”
He received his licence from the Perinthalmanna regional transport office on 17 September, after which he went on a leisure trip. In an interview, he said,
I went on a personal trip to Wayanad after getting the licence. It could not be avoided. I will plan more leisure trips after the Covid threat subsides,”
- Just like Sooraj, his sister, Swathisree, also suffers from dwarfism. Malayala Manorama According to some media reports, Sooraj’s parents are distant relatives and the short height of their children is because of a genetic problem. In an interview, Sooraj said,
My sister and I are like this. It is a problem of growth hormone. Father and mother are related. Theirs was not a romantic marriage, but an arranged marriage. One day my father called me and told me that you would not grow up anymore and would rise in life through art or some other ability. Friends are taller than us. My father says these things when he sees them all and understands all this”
- Sooraj got built his dream house in 2019. Prior to this new house, Sooraj lived with his family in his father’s ancestral home, which was a small single storied house with mud tiled roof. Later they made a new house next to their ancestral home, which had all the modern amenities but was too high for Sooraj and his sister to live comfortably due to their short height. In an interview, Sooraj said,
My father’s ancestral home was a small single storied house with mud tiled roof. Later, we built a house close to it and now my stepfather stays in that house. Though it had all the facilities, the features inside were too high for me and my sister to reach out to. I had always dreamed of building a house which suited our physical requirements,”
Sooraj’s new house is a two-story building with four bedrooms. The house is custom made for the brother-sister duo to be able to access all the things with convenience. In an interview, he stated,
The new house is designed giving prime importance to the convenience of my sister and myself. The shelves, cupboards, switch boards and wash basins are all arranged at a height where we can effortlessly reach. The height of the dining table too suits us. The steps on the stairway are shorter than the normal height, so that we can climb it without any difficulty,”
Upon achieving his dream in just Rs. 17 lakhs, Sooraj expressed his feelings in an interview and said,
We moved into our new house in October last year. The construction of the house including the furnishing was completed for just Rs 17 lakh. A loan of about Rs 10 lakhs was availed for the construction of our dream home. I don’t have too much money with me. My real strength is the audience who keeps supporting me and loves me despite my limitations. All of us are really happy that our dream of building a ‘short’ house has finally been achieved,”