Hometown: Kuzhithurai, Kanniyakumari
Age: 59 Years
Wife: Sofia Sylendra Babu
Some Lesser Known Facts About Sylendra Babu
- Does Sylendra Babu smoke? No
- Does Sylendra Babu drink alcohol? No
- Sylendra Babu is a 1987 Batch IPS officer who belongs to Tamil Nadu Cadre.
- He is known to follow a strict training regimen and has written a Tamil book on Physical fitness.
- He has also completed a course in computer science and cybercrime investigation in the year 2016.
- He actively participated in various sports activities such as swimming, cycling, running & shooting.
- At the time of his training in National Police Academy, he was awarded R D Singh CUP for swimming at National Police Academy.
- In December 2004 he represented India for the 100-meter event in the Asian Masters Athletic Championships. He also participated in several 10km runs such as the Chennai Marathon and the Coimbatore Marathon.
- On 8 February 2013, he organised and participated in an 890 km cycle rally from Chennai to Kanyakumari along with the members of Coastal Security Group and Indian Coast Guard. The rally aimed at creating awareness about the functioning of Coastal police and the Coast Guards.
- After his training at the National Police Academy, Hyderabad. He firstly got posted as the Assistant Superintendent of Police, in Gobichettipalayam.
- As the commissioner of Coimbatore city, he has organised various computer literacy programs, free Karate camps in various schools and colleges.
- He has been honored by many awards and recognitions such as Chief Minister’s Medal for curbing communal riots in Cuddalore, Chief Minister’s Police Medal for the armed encounter with a Naxalite in Dindigul, Prime Minister’s Medal for life-saving of 18 bus passengers who fell in the lake in Sivagangai in 1997 and Special Task Forcebravery medal upon the death of the forest bandit Veerappan in 2004, as the Additional Superintendent of Police of Gobichettipalayam in 1989.
- On 29 June 2021, he was appointed as Director-General of Police/Head of Police Force, Tamil Nadu.