Marital Status: Widow
Age: 85 Years
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 160 cm
in meters- 1.60 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 3”
|Weight (approx.)||in Kilograms- 55 kg
in Pounds- 121 lbs
|Date of Birth||3 February 1938|
|Birthplace||Chingleput, Madras Presidency, British India|
|Age (as of 2023)||85 Years|
|School||St. Joseph’s Convent in Vishakapatnam|
|Educational Qualification||Not Known|
|Debut||Telugu film- Jayasimha (1955)
Tamil film- Kaalam Maari Pochu (1955)
Hindi film- CID (1956)
|Awards||Government of India Awards
• Padma Bhushan (2001)
• Dadasaheb Phalke Lifetime Achievement Award (October 2023)
National Film Awards
• Best Actress for the film 'Reshma Aur Shera' (1971)
• Best Actress for the film 'Guide' (1967)
• Best Actress for the film 'Neel Kamal' (1968)
• Lifetime Achievement Award (1994)
• NTR National Award (2006)
• Bengal Film Journalists’ Association Awards for Best Actress (Hindi) for the film 'Teesri Kasam' (1967)
|Family||Father- Abdul Rehman (District Commissioner)
Mother- Mumtaz Begum
Brother- Not Known
Sister(s)- Sayeeda Malik, Shahida, and Zahida
|Hobbies||Listening to music, Photography, Cooking|
|Favourite co-actor||Dev Anand|
|Boys, Affairs and More|
|Affairs/Boyfriends||Guru Dutt, Indian Filmmaker & Actor
|Husband/Spouse||Kamaljeet (born as Shashi Rekhi); Actor (1974–2000; until his death)
|Marriage Date||27 April 1974|
|Children||Son- Sohail Rekhi
Daughter- Kashvi Rekhi
Some Lesser Known Facts About Waheeda Rehman
- Does Waheeda Rehman smoke?: No
- Does Waheeda Rehman drink alcohol?: No
- Waheeda Rehman was born into a Dakhini Muslim family in Chengalpattu, Tamil Nadu, India.
- In Chennai, she and her sister learned Bharatnatyam. Her father, who was a district commissioner, died while she was in her teens.
- She wanted to be a doctor. But due to her constant illness, she could not fulfill her dream.
- Waheeda was a good dancer. It was her passion. She came to movies due to her dance. She did a small dancing part in a Telugu film, ‘Rojulu Marayi’.
- At the success party of Rojulu Maaraayi, Guru Dutt noticed her and decided to train her. He brought her to Mumbai and took her in his production CID (1956), directed by Raj Khosla.
- Later, Guru Dutt reportedly signed Waheeda for three films without any look test or audition; Dutt signed her on a salary basis at that time.
- According to some sources, before signing her first contract in Bollywood, Waheeda insisted on including a clause that gave her the right to reject costumes if she found them unsuitable.
- Waheeda considered Guru Dutt as her mentor.
- Dev Anand was her favourite co-actor. In her first movie with Dev Anand, she was shy and could not work up the courage to say ‘Dev’. Then Dev said that I would not be able to romance with you if you don’t call me by my name. It took a lot of effort to finally start calling him Dev.
- Waheeda proved herself as a very talented actress. She had been in almost every genre of film and done every sort of role, from that of a teenage heroine to that of an aged mother and grandmother.
- Waheeda Rahman has played both mother and lover to Amitabh Bachchan. She played his lover in ‘Adalat’ (1976) and mother in ‘Trishul’ (1978).
- Waheeda is currently an ambassador for non-profit organization Rang De which helps people fight against poverty.
- Waheeda Rehman loves to make sevayya, something which she never forgets to cook in Eid.