Shehbaz Sharif (Politician) Age, Caste, Wife, Children, Family, Biography & More
|Full name||Mian Muhammad Shehbaz Sharif The Indian Express|
|Famous for||Becoming the 23rd Prime Minister of Pakistan on 11 April 2022|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 170 cm
in meters- 1.70 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 7”
|Political Party||Pakistan Muslim League (N)
|Political Journey||1988: Elected to the Provincial Assembly of Punjab for the first time in Pakistani general election
1990: Elected to the Provincial Assembly of Punjab for the 2nd time and to the National Assembly of Pakistan for the first time in Pakistani general election
1993: Re-elected to the Provincial Assembly of Punjab in Pakistani general election, for the third time
1997: Became the Chief Minister of Punjab, Pakistan, for the first time
2008: Became the Chief Minister of Punjab, Pakistan, for the second time
2013: Became the Chief Minister of Punjab, Pakistan, for the third time
2022: On 11 April, Pakistan’s Parliament elected him as the country’s new Prime Minister. The Hindu
|Date of Birth||23 September 1951 (Sunday)|
|Age (as of 2021)||70 Years|
|School||St. Anthony High School, Lahore|
|College/University||Government College University, Lahore|
|Educational Qualification||Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) Hindustan Times|
|Sect||Sunni Global Security|
|Ethnicity||Bhat Kashmiri tribe|
|Address||He resides at Raiwind Palace in Jati Umrah Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan.|
|Hobbies||Watching cricket, Reading Iqbal's poems, Swimming, Playing badminton, Learning different languages|
|Controversies||• Sabzazar case:
In 1999, Shehbaz attracted controversy after a complainant, Saeeduddin, filed an FIR against him in connection to the murder of his son and other men in a fake encounter. The complainant alleged that Shehbaz had given permission to the police to kill his son and other men. In 2003, the anti-terrorism court asked Shehbaz and other accused to appear in front of the court, but he could not come to the court as he was in exile. In 2004, when he tried to return to Pakistan, he was deported back to Saudi Arabia. In 2007, he and his brothers were allowed to come back to Pakistan, and Shehbaaz was arrested in connection to the arrest warrant that were issued in 2003. Later in 2007, he got bail as he alleged that the charges against him were politically motivated. Dawn
• Panama Papers case:
In June 2017, he was testified for more than 3 hours before the JIT in the Panama Papers case that involved a leak of 11.5 million confidential documents from Panamanian law firm Mossack Fonseca. The Economic Times
• Support to Imran Khan's ex-wife:
In 2018, Shehbaz was alleged to support Reham Khan (ex-wife of Imran Khan) for a book that she wrote on her life, and her marriage with Imran Khan. The former Prime Minister of Pakistan Imran Khan alleged that Shehbaz was supporting his ex-wife in publishing the book prior to the 2018 Pakistani general elections to damage the image of Imran Khan. Business Standard
• Corruption case:
In 2019, Shehbaz was accused in the Ashiana Iqbal Housing scam case. The project started in 2010 in Punjab, and Shehbaz was alleged of cancelling the contract of a successful bidder in the scheme and giving it to his favourite firm when he was the Chief Minister of Punjab from 2013 to 2018. The Tribune
• Money laundering case:
In 2020, Shehbaz was arrested by the National Accountability Bureau for the money laundering of over Rs7,328 million in a scheme that involved his close family members. Bol News
|Relationships & More|
|Wife/Spouse||• First Wife: Begum Nusrat Shahbaz (1973)
• Second Wife: Aaliya Honey (1993) (model)
• Third Wife: Nilofer Khosa (1993)
• Fourth Wife: Tehmina Durrani (2003) (author)
• Fifth Wife: Kalsoom Hai (2012) (government official)
• Suleman Shahbaz (former CEO of Sharif Group)
• Hamza Shahbaz Sharif (politician)
• Rabia Imran
• Khadija Shehbaz
• Javeria Shahbaz Sharif
|Parents||Father- Mian Muhammad Sharif (businessman)
Mother- Shamim Akhtar
• Nawaz Sharif (politician; former Prime Minister of Pakistan)
• Abbas Sharif (busninessman and politician)
|Cricketer(s)||Ramiz Raja, Kevin Pietersen|
|Singer(s)||Mohammad Rafi, Mehdi Hassan, Madam Noor Jehan|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Shehbaz Sharif
- Shehbaz Sharif is a Pakistani politician who became the 23rd Prime Minister of Pakistan on 11 April 2022.
- His father, Muhammad Sharif, was a businessman who emigrated from Anantnag and settled down in the village of Jati Umra in Amritsar district, Punjab at the beginning of the 20th century.
- In 1985, he became the president of the Lahore Chamber of Commerce & Industry after he joined his family business, Ittefaq Group. His brother Nawaz Sharif was a three-time elected Prime Minister of Pakistan between 1990 and 2017.
- From 1993 to 1996, when Shahbaz went to London for his medical treatment, Chaudhry Pervaiz Elahi worked as acting opposition leader in the absence of Shahbaz.
- Shehbaz became the Chief Minister of Punjab in 1997 and served the position for two more terms in 2008 and 2013. During his tenure as the Chief Minister of Punjab, he started various efforts for the growth of the province by enhancing the areas of health, education, and the environment. He also worked to promote education by introducing aptitude tests and self-finance schemes in education.
- In 1999, he went into exile in Saudi Arabia and returned to Pakistan in 2007.
- On 5 June 2015, he inaugurated the metro bus service between Islamabad and Rawalpindi.
- In an interview, he said that his political upbringing was done by his elder brother, Nawaz Sharif. In 2016, his brother, Nawaz Sharif was removed from the position of the president of the Pakistan Muslim League-N in connection to the Panama Papers case that led to Shehbaz becoming the president of Pakistan Muslim League-N. In 2018, after he was elected as the president of the party, in the oath-taking ceremony, he said,
I believe Nawaz Sharif is the only Pakistani politician and leader that can be called Jinnah’s political heir. We are lucky to have been blessed with a Quaid [leader] like Nawaz Sharif.”
- In 2018, he was nominated as the Leader of the Opposition after the 2018 election.
- In December 2019, 23 properties of Shehbaz and his son were frozen by the National Accountability Bureau in connection with a money laundering case.
- On 11 April 2022, he was appointed as the Prime Minister of Pakistan after the opposition parties filed a no-confidence motion against Imran Khan on 10 April 2022. He was chosen after the removal of the former Prime Minister of Pakistan Imran Khan.
- The Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi, took to Twitter and congratulated Shehbaz on his victory as the Prime Minister of Pakistan. He tweeted,
India desires peace and stability in a region free of terror, so that we can focus on our development challenges and ensure the well-being and prosperity of our people.”
Congratulations to H. E. Mian Muhammad Shehbaz Sharif on his election as the Prime Minister of Pakistan. India desires peace and stability in a region free of terror, so that we can focus on our development challenges and ensure the well-being and prosperity of our people.
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) April 11, 2022
In a twitter post, Shehbaz thanked Prime Minister Narendra Modi for congratulating him and wrote,
Thank you Premier Narendra Modi for felicitations. Pakistan desires peaceful & cooperative ties with India. Peaceful settlement of outstanding disputes including Jammu & Kashmir is indispensable. Pakistan’s sacrifices in fighting terrorism are well-known. Let’s secure peace.”
Thank you Premier Narendra Modi for felicitations. Pakistan desires peaceful & cooperative ties with India. Peaceful settlement of outstanding disputes including Jammu & Kashmir is indispensable. Pakistan's sacrifices in fighting terrorism are well-known. Let's secure peace and.. https://t.co/0M1wxhhvjV
— Shehbaz Sharif (@CMShehbaz) April 12, 2022
- He likes poetry a lot, and many times, he opens official meetings by reciting poems of famous Urdu poets.
- He has represented Pakistan on international forums such as United Nations and at the International Labour Conference held in Geneva in the year 1981.
- Shahbaz often terms himself as Khadim-i-Aala, which means chief servant rather than the chief minister.
- Reportedly, when Shehbaz married Begum Nusrat Shahbaz at the age of twenty-three, his father did not approve of his marriage.
- Reportedly, the bridge Honey Bridge was named after the second wife of Shehbaz, Aaliya Honey.
- He enjoys working out at the gym and often posts pictures of his workout on social media.
- He often posts pictures of his granddaughters on social media.
|↑1||The Indian Express|
|↑6||The Economic Times|