Some Lesser Known Facts About Akshay Kelkar
- Akshay Kelkar is an Indian actor and model, who works predominantly in the Marathi entertainment industry. He won Bigg Boss Marathi 4.
- Since childhood, Akshay dreamed to be an art director and he managed to work as an assistant art director in the Marathi film industry. Hindustan Times
- In an interview, Akshay revealed that he casually gave an audition for his first show and to his surprise, the makers selected him immediately. Tellychakkar
- Post his debut as Kabir in 2013 with the Marathi serial “Be Dune Daha”, he bagged the opportunity to play the role of Uday Deshpande in the Colors Marathi serial “Kamala.”
- He got the opportunity to play the protagonist in the film “College Cafe” in 2016. In the same year, he also featured in Avdhoot Gupte’s Marathi film “Kanha” which is based on the festival of Dahi Handi.
- He bagged the lead role in the Hindi serial Nima Denzongpa which aired on Colors TV from 23 August 2021 to 2 September 2022. Kelkar made headlines when he continued the show even after a leap and portrayed the role of a 40-year-old. The Times Of India In an interview, he said,
Every actor takes his or her own call. I am completely okay with playing a mature character on screen. My only objective is to do justice to whatever role I take up. If you look at the positive side, playing an older character is quite challenging. I don’t think I would get typecast in any way. Also, thanks to social media, people get to see the real me and can figure out my actual age, even if I am playing a father to youngsters on screen.”
- In an interview, Kelkar revealed that he has faced rejections a few times because of looking younger than his age. He said,
I have played supporting characters in Marathi serials but somehow, I haven’t been able to crack the auditions for Marathi shows when it comes to lead roles. The makers tell me that I look too young. Having said that, I am happy doing Hindi TV. It has given me an opportunity to reach a wider audience. I have no regrets whatsoever.”
- Some of his other works include the Marathi television show ‘Yek Number’, the Marathi film ‘Madhuri’, and the Hindi TV show ‘Crime Patrol’.
- Speaking in an interview about his struggle as an actor, Kelkar said,
I won’t be lying if I say that I am still struggling. I went through a horrible phase in 2017, where I lost a big project. I am glad that I moved on, and now, I am keen on doing good and substantial work.”
- Besides films, he has also been featured in TV commercials for various brands like Raj Masala and the matrimonial site of Zee Marathi.
- He appeared as a contestant in Bigg Boss Marathi season 4. In January 2023, he won the reality show, taking home the trophy along with a golden necklace, a sum of Rs 15,55,000, and a Rs 5 lakh cheque for being the ‘Best Captain’ of the house.
- He is fluent in three languages- Hindi, English, and Marathi.
- He is fond of bikes.