Some Lesser Known Facts About Akshay Ruparelia
- At just 19 years of age, Indian-origin Akshay Ruparelia has become one of UK’s youngest millionaires after his agency was valued at £12 million.
- Talking about his first project in an interview, Ruparelia said that through his website, a man from Sussex hired him to sell his home and a piece of land beside it. “I had to pay my sister’s boyfriend 40 pounds to drive me to Sussex to take photographs of the house, as I hadn’t passed my driving test and didn’t have a car,” said the young entrepreneur. Within three weeks, Ruparelia managed to sell the property and since then there has been no looking back for him.
- In October 2017, his online estate agency website, doorsteps.co.uk, became the “18th biggest estate agency” in the UK just 16 months after going live.
- Interestingly, since he could not take up customers’ calls during his school hours, he hired a call centre to take up the queries/requests of people on his behalf. He would then call them back during lunch-break and free lectures, creating a good customer-relationship with his clients.
- The company, which he started with an investment of £7,000, has hired self-employed mothers across the UK, who show customers around the properties he has been tasked to sell.
- The young businessman claims to have sold properties worth over £100 million in just over a year.
- While conventional estate agencies in the UK charge a huge chunk of the selling amount as commission, Ruparelia’s company carries out the entire selling process for just £99.
- He cites low-cost airline – Ryanair – founder Michael O Leary as his inspiration.
- In mid-2017, he raised £400,000 from investors on a crowd-funding web portal, in exchange for 3.25% of his business.
- A complete all-rounder, Ruparelia, despite being preoccupied with his business, managed to secure five A’Levels (three A* and two A grades) in maths, politics, economics, history and financial studies, respectively.
- Since both his parents are deaf and mute, he mastered the sign language at a very young age.
📢⚡TRENDING: List of ICC World Cup Winners (1975-2015)