Some Lesser Known Facts About Akun Sabharwal
- Does Akun Sabharwal smoke?: Not Known
- Does Akun Sabharwal drink alcohol?: Not Known
- His father was an Indian Airforce personnel and stationed in Patiala when Akun was born.
- Though he was born in Patiala, his schooling was done across the country in the Kendriya Vidyalaya School in Bengaluru, Pune, Delhi, Assam, Chandigarh, and Ooty.
- Although he was good at mathematics while at school, Akun opted for medical in college and graduated in dental surgery.
- He then gave the civil services examination a try while working as an intern, and cleared it getting a rank of 33 nation wide.
- After having qualified to join the Indian Police Services, he was trained in the Kamrup district of Assam. Akun was also involved in anti-extremist work in Sadiya and Charaido sub-divisions in upper Assam.
- After completing the training, his first posting was in Anantapur district.
- Akun and his wife Smita were batch mates in Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration, Mussoorie. It was an arranged marriage.
- Between 2006 and 2007, Akun worked as a special duty officer in Warangal where he conducted and supervised the anti-left wing extremist operations.
- He then went on to serve as the Superintendent of Police, Vishakhapatnam in 2007 and continued until 2009. During this period, there were 28 fire exchanges while combating extremism in which 36 CPI (Maoist) cadres got neutralized and 132 surrendered.
- In April 2012, he joined Hyderabad Police as a Deputy Commissioner, Hyderabad South. Communal tensions had caused the area to sink into curfew for the nine subsequent months.
- He has also served as the Joint Director of Anti Corruption Bureau and as a Commandant of an Armed Police Battalion for nine months each.
- Akun then went on to join Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel National Police Academy as an Assistant Director (Outdoors). There, he was a part of the team which trained the 2012 and 2013 batch IPS officers.
- He became the Director of Drugs Control Administration, Telangana, in April 2015. Under his supervision, the DCA conducted several raids on a number of pharmaceutical companies, corporate hospitals, medical stores, blood banks, and some of the concerned places and booked a number of violators across the state.
- To get away with the problem of issuance of medicines without a prescription, Akun launched an awareness program, ‘No Bill, No Pill.’
- He was then given an additional charge as the Director of Excise and Prohibition in September 2015. The department, under Akun, conducted a number of raids and found the unlawful distillation of liquor and its sale in Telangana.
- With power in hands, Akun unmasked the drug racket in the Telugu film industry. Though the drugs have been a part of the industry for quite a long time, it was only under Akun that the matter came to light.
- He is an avid cyclist and marathoner. He has participated in and successfully completed 7 marathons in India.
📢⚡TRENDING: List of ICC World Cup Winners (1975-2015)